WARNING: Take Care Of Your Car!

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Recently I have been looking for a good used car and let me tell you folks, you need to really do everything you can to take care of your cars to help them last as long as possible! The used car market has gone absolutely insane! :eek:

I regularly see 175,000 +++ mile vehicles with asking prices of $3,000 +++!:eek::laughing::furious:

Vehicles with engines that knock, transmissions that whine, rack and pinion units that sound like a flock of birds chirping, blue smoke billowing out the exhaust when revving the engine, (oil burning), coolant overflow tanks bubbling, (indicating a blown head gasket), mismatched and worn tires, bent wheels, body damage with panels that don't line up and bumper covers held on with zip-ties, (indicating the car was in an accident), etc., with asking prices of thousands and thousands of dollars! How do these people selling these pieces of junk look at themselves in the mirror?! It must be really terrible to live the life of a crook! :cursing::furious:

The horrendous Obama, "Cash for Clunkers", program caused this horrific mess! A whopping 690,000 so called, "clunkers", (most of them perfectly good, older vehicles that had a lot of life left in them!), were taken off of the road and were simply crushed, not recycled! This has caused a huge reduction in the quantity of good used cars on the market, which with less supply and more demand, has caused used car prices to skyrocket! See the link below -

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...or-Clunkers-Unleashed-Environmental-Nightmare

So the moral of the story is, so you don't have to face the ridiculously high prices being asked for used cars, take very good care of the vehicle you currently have and get it to last as long as possible! Perform the recommended maintenance when needed and don't scrimp on it, especially with engine oils, filters, transmission fluids and gear lubes. This can greatly extend the life of your car and help you avoid having to replace that car for as long as possible! Also make sure your car gets washed and waxed regularly to ward off rust.

I agree that the destruction without recycling of the traded cars was a mistake, the rest of the article seems just an opinion without much to back it up. I admittedly know little of the used car market, I've never bout one. But I'd like to see some statistics comparing prices now and previous prices for similar cars, before I'd accept the conclusion. Also, the examples you cite are the lowest end only of the used carmarket. I either get rid of a car quickly if i don't like it or run it until it stops. I've mainly owned Hondas and Toyotas that have brought me back very nearly the same price I paid new after a year of use. A piece of junk is only worth 3k if someone is willing to pay that. If they are, well that's capitalism, for better or worse