water pump? vvti Corolla

tomf

hey people, I've posted this a few places but i assume they're dead threads. or no one likes me haha
I'm think my problem sound is coming from one of the pulleys, possibly the water pump. can anyone make a guess from the description below.

I've got this squealing sound coming from the engine area, the sound can come and go. it doesn't happen all the time but there are patches when its worse.
It tends to happen when I'm driving straight or holding the steering wheel in the same position like going around a long bend.
If I press the brakes or sharply turn the steering wheel it tends to stop the sound but once I release the brakes or straighten the steering wheel the sound will continue

I had a recent experience, somewhat different from Tom's; in which I was a total dumass - I write it here just so no one else gets fooled the same way. I had some big squealing problems when I'd go around turns. Couldn't find the problem. It turns out that I had a low tire pressure, because of a nail in one of my tires. It wasn't flat, just a slow leak. I had refilled the tires the week before, so didn't think to check them. I don't think this is the same problem as TomF's, but wanted to alert other newbies, like me, to have some common sense.