Weapon-R Header

I was browsing around performance mods for our engine. I stumbled upon Weapon-R and it seems that they have a 4-2-1 header for our engine. Their website lists it as compatible for years 2009-2014. Buying it from Weapon-R will cost $325 but inputting the model number into google will show us that amazon has it for $262 + free shipping. Has anyone compared the older gen header to our new ones? If so, here is the link. The headers coupled with the 10th gen borla axle back system(a member already had it installed, with slight modification at the exhaust shop) would definitely show some power gains. Please give me your opinion.

Weapon-R product page
http://www.weapon-r.com/index.php?act=view_product&id=1964

Amazon Product page
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Weapon-R-953-116-109-Street-Exhaust-Stainless/dp/B006T1ZFB8[/ame]

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Headers typically improve mid-range to high rpm power at the expense of low rpm throttle response and fuel economy. In other words, driving around town your Corolla's fuel economy will decrease.

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
The problem is the headers over-scavenge the combustion chambers, which reduces bottom end throttle response and fuel economy. Unfortunately there's no free lunch.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Sorry DJ, but them's the facts and I'm sticking to them. :):thumbsup:

Headers are fine for high-rpm power 4,000 rpm +, (i.e. racing), but for speeds we see toodling around town, the reduced exhaust backpressure/over-scavenging of the cylinders, reduces torque, throttle response and fuel economy. :blink:

If you had a race car, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, no.

Sorry DJ, but them's the facts and I'm sticking to them. :):thumbsup:

Headers are fine for high-rpm power 4,000 rpm +, (i.e. racing), but for speeds we see toodling around town, the reduced exhaust backpressure/over-scavenging of the cylinders, reduces torque, throttle response and fuel economy. :blink:

If you had a race car, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, no.
Yeah yeah that makes sense. If I didn't join the forum who knows what I would have done to my corolla lol

What you can do is look for smaller tube diameter headers, because this design helps to produce more torque in low to mid rpm ranges where your car lives, which will not only improve throttle response and power, but also improve fuel economy. The additional benefit is that when you come across someone that has headers designed for high rpm/racing use, you'll leave them in the dust! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
At high rpm/racing use, yes, but on the street that's not what you want. You want low to mid range rpm torque and that's what smaller tube diameter headers achieve for you.

This reminds me of an article that appeared in Super Chevy magazine years ago where they had a 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo project car they named, "Project Econo-Performer". That year Monte Carlo was a big, heavy car and the goal of the project was to get the car to run 13.0 second 1/4 mile's while also getting 30 mpg! They achieved this and one of the things they did was using the small tube diameter design headers to increase low to mid range rpm torque. That car with its 350 Chevy engine produced so much torque it could lift the wheels at the starting line of a 1/4 mile race! Low to mid range rpm torque is where it's at.

Last edited:
Interesting...very very interesting...now I need to find some way to measure the diameter of the headers and see how small I can make them while minimizing the risk of any negative effects.