Weird/moldy smell from AC 2015 Corolla

Gino

Title says it all. Was driving the other day and the most horrid smell started coming through the vents. Smell seems to be mostly from the driver side. I use it constantly so its not like I just turned it on for the first time and it has been like this for more than one ride. What can cause that? Did a little Googling and saw a lawsuit for 2012 Corolla's about this exact issue. Mine is a lease so I'm gonna take it to the dealer, but just curious what it may be ahead of time. Thanks!

jolly

A few Corolla owners complain about it for the 11th gen also, but I don't think it is a Corolla thing.
Can happen in any cars (or even home unit) depending on conditions and environment.
It is often mold and there are spray treatment to get rid of it.

ToyBoy

After driving for a good time with the air conditioning on park and see if you get water dripping under the car, you should . If not your drain could be clogged causing your problem . It`s usually a quick 10 minute fix to clear it out .

Man i had this smell, i couldnt almost enter the car, then i used some sonax A/C cleaner, but few days again the faul smell.
One day i decided to check what the hell its the source of the odor and i figured out >> my neighbour's trash cans was just about 1~1.5 meters from my car...
The smell was not the car, it was the trash - this explains why the smell is stronger if i let my car sit for 3-4 days..

Check the surrounding, manhole, trashcans....

Man i had this smell, i couldnt almost enter the car, then i used some sonax A/C cleaner, but few days again the faul smell.
One day i decided to check what the hell its the source of the odor and i figured out >> my neighbour's trash cans was just about 1~1.5 meters from my car...
The smell was not the car, it was the trash - this explains why the smell is stronger if i let my car sit for 3-4 days..

Check the surrounding, manhole, trashcans....
Title says it all. Was driving the other day and the most horrid smell started coming through the vents. Smell seems to be mostly from the driver side. I use it constantly so its not like I just turned it on for the first time and it has been like this for more than one ride. What can cause that? Did a little Googling and saw a lawsuit for 2012 Corolla's about this exact issue. Mine is a lease so I'm gonna take it to the dealer, but just curious what it may be ahead of time. Thanks!
the Sam thing happened to me in my 15' Corolla S. It only happened a couple of times. It hasn't happened in a few days. I'll take it to the dealer if it happens again. Good luck.

It's gotta be the cabin air filter. Overtime esp after extended use of the fan/ac the air vents can caused a mildew odor once it collects dust and pollution. There is a way to have the in-cabin air filter easily replaced and not having the dealership install for you. Order on amazon or ebay a new cabin air filter product for your new Corolla and there should be video instructions on youtube on how to replace these. Your ac will blow fresh air again and keep your interior smelling like new.

Last edited:
When someone comes into the toyota dealer for this same concern we always refer them to their owners manual, the section that refers to a/c and smells.
There is a section for this that pretty much says if your driving the with recirc feature on before you come to your destination turn it off

the recirc is keeping the vents closed no outside air comes in, turn it off it reopens and fresh air will come in eliminating the smell. It happened often in my 2012 camry and it happened once in my corolla

Did a little Googling and saw a lawsuit for 2012 Corolla's about this exact issue.
Not sure it's the same issue : some Toyotas/Lexus of that year experienced residue from bad quality ducts. Not the same as mold or odor which, again, might occur in any car, depending on circumstances.

This may help, what I do after having used the AC before I turn off the car (couple minutes before I reach home sort of thing, and if the car will be parked overnight) I turn AC off and just run the vent on a higher setting. My theory is the "normal" temp air will help clear out humidity and moisture before everything shuts down and no moisture is sitting in the ducts. Not sure it really works but I have no issues with smells. Come to think about it my brothers 1998 Sable Owner's Manual states to leave the AC setting in Vent when car is off, it says this promotes air flow through the vehicle. Again I think the idea is to prevent moist air to sit in the ducts.

Yes. I had the same problem and just left the Toyota dealer. He said the same thing. Before turning the car off. Put the vent out of recirculated air. This will take care of the issue.