What type of gas are y'all putting in the tank?

Greetings everyone,

I got myself a 2015 Corolla S a month ago (went from '03 Corolla, huge difference) and I'm curious to know what everyone else is putting in their gas tanks when they fill up? I have filled up twice with 87 which is basically the regular, consumer-grade gas here in TX. I really want to keep my car and engine at peak cleanliness/performance as much as I can though, not sure if 87 enables that.

I have been running 87 Octane throughout the ownership of my car. About 18 months. 2015 Corolla S Plus. No complaints from the car ever.

I'd say if you want cleanliness and 'performance' to just use major brand gas. Shell, Exxon, Valero, etc. Avoid the cheapest, 'no-name' gas stations.

And if you are lucky enough to find ethanol free gas. USE IT. I know it is less of a concern on newer vehicles but my 1984 Land Cruiser would run much better on ethanol free gas. (Carbureted, old thing)

I have been running 87 Octane throughout the ownership of my car. About 18 months. 2015 Corolla S Plus. No complaints from the car ever.

I'd say if you want cleanliness and 'performance' to just use major brand gas. Shell, Exxon, Valero, etc. Avoid the cheapest, 'no-name' gas stations.

And if you are lucky enough to find ethanol free gas. USE IT. I know it is less of a concern on newer vehicles but my 1984 Land Cruiser would run much better on ethanol free gas. (Carbureted, old thing)
Awesome, thanks for the input. I plan on doing fuel injector cleaning every other month, so that'll probably keep it at the kind of clean that I'm thinking of. Also, didn't think about the difference between brand-name gas and the cheaper options. Guess you get what you pay for in those situations, too!

As Klinetime574 said. Quality of the gas (ideally without ethanol) is more important.
Beside this Corolla, I've always put 87 in the cars I've owned (except one that specifically required 91) without any "complaints from the car".
Per the manual, your engine is designed to use it and, at least in Canada, all octanes have the same mandatory detergents and additives (except some brands specifically marketed as having more)
You'll find fierce supporters of high octane, though, saying that it increases performance or mpg. Not from my experience nor from many studies.

One thing to consider doing is to use gas from the same company, ie. Shell, Marathon, etc. The reason being is that they all use different additives in their gas. So filling up at one and then another can possibly add more deposits on the intake, valves, injectors etc. If you are thinking of using fuel injector cleaner, try it every 3,000 or so miles instead of every month. Me personally I use 87 octane from Shell, gives me good mileage, average around 26-27 all city driving(Indianapolis).

JesseG

I live in TX also and only use 87 octane, usually from Valero which is one of the few stations around with the "Top Tier" rating.

higher octane rating does not equate to higher quality gas; you need to use the Octane rating your owner manual calls for; anything higher is actually counterproductive for your MPG and wallet. high Octane gas is only for higher compression engines. If you want to help your engine make sure to change oil on time and pay attention to the brand of oil and oil filter used. I wouldn't trust these oil change places either.

I've noticed that my '15 S Plus runs better on Chevron fuel, & I only use the the 87 octane grade. Since most of the Chevrons in my area have become Shells, I've had to switch. It just doesn't run as smoothly unless I put in Chevron fuel treatment every several fill ups.

Bunta

Greetings everyone,

I got myself a 2015 Corolla S a month ago (went from '03 Corolla, huge difference) and I'm curious to know what everyone else is putting in their gas tanks when they fill up? I have filled up twice with 87 which is basically the regular, consumer-grade gas here in TX. I really want to keep my car and engine at peak cleanliness/performance as much as I can though, not sure if 87 enables that.
in the owner's manual , it says that 87 octane is the recommended gas for your engine. reason being because it is the most efficient gas for the engine and in turn it should keep your engine "healthy". now Where you get your gas makes a huge difference as well. don't go with those cheap gas stations(as appealing the prices may be), stick with shell(my personal favorite) and chevron. these companies already add fuel additives to help your engine run better and to maintain it at the same time.

also, don't use gas higher than 87 octane unless it's an emergency and you can't get 87 near you. doing this will burn out your engine.

Bunta

higher octane rating does not equate to higher quality gas; you need to use the Octane rating your owner manual calls for; anything higher is actually counterproductive for your MPG and wallet. high Octane gas is only for higher compression engines. If you want to help your engine make sure to change oil on time and pay attention to the brand of oil and oil filter used. I wouldn't trust these oil change places either.
totally agree with you!

If I remember my first read through the manual correctly it said 87 octane or higher. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I also seem to remember reading all mpg tests were done with 91 octane premium fuel. I've settled into using the mid grade 89 octane and did see a small lift in mpg. No performance difference to speak of though.

Bunta

If I remember my first read through the manual correctly it said 87 octane or higher. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I also seem to remember reading all mpg tests were done with 91 octane premium fuel. I've settled into using the mid grade 89 octane and did see a small lift in mpg. No performance difference to speak of though.
yup, you're right about that , although i wouldn't use it all the time since mpg can be influenced by alot of factors and not just the fuel grade. save more money that way and with good driving habits equal to good mpg...unless you like to go fast all the time and want a boost in power and what not, you can also use fuel additives specifically for increasing horse power. check out chris fix's videos on youtube about the subject. one thing you have to keep in mind that higher fuel grades are meant for higher compression rate engines like turbo charged ones and performance vehicles. higher fuel grades also have more fuel additives that in the end you don't really need , it's like a bonus since even the 87 ones have additives as well(as far as chevron and shell)

i got an idea. since you seem to feel comfortable with switching fuel grades; why not do a test? fill up your tank with each fuel grade, starting from 87-91 and compare the results after you're done(needless to say that you fill up on one fuel grade and not mix them up together.) and let us know the results.

yup, you're right about that , although i wouldn't use it all the time since mpg can be influenced by alot of factors and not just the fuel grade. save more money that way and with good driving habits equal to good mpg...unless you like to go fast all the time and want a boost in power and what not, you can also use fuel additives specifically for increasing horse power. check out chris fix's videos on youtube about the subject. one thing you have to keep in mind that higher fuel grades are meant for higher compression rate engines like turbo charged ones and performance vehicles. higher fuel grades also have more fuel additives that in the end you don't really need , it's like a bonus since even the 87 ones have additives as well(as far as chevron and shell)

i got an idea. since you seem to feel comfortable with switching fuel grades; why not do a test? fill up your tank with each fuel grade, starting from 87-91 and compare the results after you're done(needless to say that you fill up on one fuel grade and not mix them up together.) and let us know the results.
I've considered this however my only concern is the more volatile 91 octane with the factory compression rate. One tank should be fine for the results though

87 from any Top Tier distributor near my home. Those would be, Shell, Costco, Marathon and Chevron. The manual states "87 or higher". Higher octanes will not alter a thing... positvely or negatively.

I use 87 E0 and comparing to E10 I get much better fuel economy.
Using 91 would also improve the economy, but only when comparing to non-E0 types, if that 91 is E0.
Acceleration wise, technically an engine designed to run only on 87 could use a bit higher knock resistance of higher octane fuels by changing timing and relying on knock sensors as a feedback for the ecu...but that depends on a particular engine and at best the improvement will be marginal (a couple of percent at most).

also, don't use gas higher than 87 octane unless it's an emergency and you can't get 87 near you. doing this will burn out your engine.
Wrong. Higher octane gas burns in exact same way as regular one does. Energy-content wise it is the same as 87....
Higher knock resistance does not change that behavior. It only makes it more resistant to self-ignition.

So, when you read this type of baloney being stated, you can disregard any technical advice coming from that person. Period.

Damn noobs. This thread sounds like a lot of opinions based on very-not-so technical knowledge:

:/rant:

Octane: Literally defined as; a liquid alkane hydrocarbon found in petroleum and existing in 18isomeric forms, esp the isomer n -octane. Formula: C 8 H 18 See also isooctane (dictionary.com)

means nothing until you define the Octane Rating:

An octane rating, or octane number, is a standard measure of the performance of an engine or aviation fuel. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating (igniting). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating (you dolts)

This is to say that low octane fuel is more volatile and less stable, where as high octane fuel is less volatile and more stable. This means that fuel with more of these Octane Isomers is cleaner and more efficient than the rest of the garbage they put into gasoline. So, to be clear, lower octane equals higher volatility. Because your engines are rated at 89 Octane does in no way mean a cleaner gasoline will cause it damage.

I don't feel like quoting anybody specifically, but there are some very wrong opinions being presented as facts here.

I can't see how using a more stable, less-volatile fuel will cause your engine to "burn-out." :end: :/rant:

If you think that that the cheaper gas is a lot worse then the expensive gas. Consider the fact that their are only so many refineries around. Cheaper stations are getting there gas from the same refineries that Chevron, BP, and shell are. I have delivered gas from the same refinery to all of them

89 and a bottle of Techron once a month. I'm currently averaging 32-35 mpg. I tried switching to 91 and mpg went down by 2 mpg, same result with 87, so for my 2016 Corolla S the 89 seems to be the sweet spot.

Steve

ToyBoy

87 octane . Before winter set in was averaging 39mpg . With this horrid winter weather it has dropped several mpg`s. The car sounds exactly the same as when I would use a higher octane.

They change the gas formula between seasons. Usually says this on the pumps. Something to do with the ethanol levels.
I believe it’s lower for the winter months.

Sam.s

I drive uber in phoenix ,I only use Chevron 87 grade . About 200 miles a day of driving mixed city/highway. And my Avg. is 36mpg. So I stand behing Chevron. Cars that take 87 grade dont get higher grade you are wasting your money studies have proven it.

Damn noobs. This thread sounds like a lot of opinions based on very-not-so technical knowledge:

Octane: Literally defined as; a liquid alkane hydrocarbon found in petroleum and existing in 18isomeric forms, esp the isomer n -octane. Formula: C 8 H 18 See also isooctane (dictionary.com)

An octane rating, or octane number, is a standard measure of the performance of an engine or aviation fuel. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating (igniting). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating (you dolts)

This is to say that low octane fuel is more volatile and less stable, where as high octane fuel is less volatile and more stable. This means that fuel with more of these Octane Isomers is cleaner and more efficient than the rest of the garbage they put into gasoline. So, to be clear, lower octane equals higher volatility. Because your engines are rated at 89 Octane does in no way mean a cleaner gasoline will cause it damage.

I don't feel like quoting anybody specifically, but there are some very wrong opinions being presented as facts here.

I can't see how using a more stable, less-volatile fuel will cause your engine to "burn-out." :end: :/rant:
92 in Corolla
89 in Highlander
87 in company vehicle lol

92 in Corolla
89 in Highlander
87 in company vehicle lol
92 in corolla?
Why not 103? It must be better!
Unless your corolla is FI modified, going above the recommended octane rating is worthless...even though you might feel like the car runs “smoother” or “purrs like whatever”. You only give more money to the oil refineries for nothing more in return in comparison to just plain reg E0 87.

92 in corolla?
Unless your corolla is FI modified, going above the recommended octane rating is worthless...even though you might feel like the car runs “smoother” or “purrs like whatever”. You only give more money to the oil refineries for nothing more in return in comparison to just plain reg E0 87.
Do your research.

92 in corolla?
there are people who know a bit more about cars then what they see on tv, and people who like to share information, rather than worthlessly criticize someones techniques and processes. dont have anything to contribute then you are worthless talking shit like a highschooler.

and you're wrong to boot; go away and leave the car talk to adults?

there are people who know a bit more about cars then what they see on tv, and people who like to share information, rather than worthlessly criticize someones techniques and processes. dont have anything to contribute then you are worthless talking shit like a highschooler.

and you're wrong to boot; go away and leave the car talk to adults?
There is a great deal of people who know nothing about cars and there is a very small number of them who actually know what they are doing. In the majority of cases they are employed by R&D departments. I wish I was a preschooler, but I am affraid with two engineering degrees that I already have, they would reject my application.

Now, do you care to ACTUALLY EXPLAIN like and adult, with facts, why you disagree? Specifically, explain how can you get a benefit of using a higher octane fuel in an engine that is designed to get maximum out of regular gas only? If 87 is enough to resist the knock + ecu takes care of transient events (slamming on the acc pedal hard), where will that benefit come in?

Last edited:
already did you didnt read it, appearntly

I can't see how using a more stable, less-volatile fuel will cause your engine to "burn-out." :end: :/rant
need any more facts?

already did you didnt read it, appearntly

need any more facts?
what you have reposted, backs up what I said.
Octane rating is a level of resistance of fuel to self-ignition. Therefore if the engine experiences no knock with a given 87 rated fuel, raising its octane rating to a higher level will not change anything, because the only thing that is different about it is higher resistance to knocking....which is already being solved by 87, and 95 or 103 cant make it better.

or do you just like to take your two engineering degrees and get into fights on car forums?
Projecting much?

So, explain to me the, how a given engine that is already optimally(!) designed for cheaper fuel, and is already protected by the ecu from knock, can get better results with higher octane fuel, if after using higher octane, that engine still has THE SAME COMPRESSION (engine did not change and corolla does not have advance cycles that control compression via valves) and if it already had no knock with 87 rated fuel?

Reposting articles from wiki is great, but it appears you do not understand what they actually state.

I don't disagree with your information; that the 2ZR-FE is rated for 87 octane, and is built in such a way that it will live a long and prosperous running off said fuel. I disagree with your asshole approach and lack of tack in the issue. It seemed to me you were quicker to find someone to criticize rather than add to the conversation.

But I'm no engineer, so I'm not going to get into that impossible argument. You're an engineer you can figure it out, no?

I don't disagree with your information; that the 2ZR-FE is rated for 87 octane, and is built in such a way that it will live a long and prosperous running off said fuel. I disagree with your asshole approach and lack of tack in the issue. It seemed to me you were quicker to find someone to criticize rather than add to the conversation.

But I'm no engineer, so I'm not going to get into that impossible argument. You're an engineer you can figure it out, no?
I call bs on that! If it was just about the way I said something, why would you need to send me off to wiki to read some articles on octane ratings?
Inconsistent much?

Also, what was so “asshole”-ish in what I said that made you to react the way you did?