Where is the best place to start?

I have 2004 Corolla S, it has 300k miles on it and I assume it will go someday and I was thinking about getting a short block motor and starting fresh, but I would like to give it more power, where do I start? What do I need and are there specific things involved, like if I want to bore it, what else is required of me? Do I start getting performance heads and messing with valve timing or what?

Well, I will be doing this over at least two years, slowly building up, but I don't need a track car, I just wanna give my little Corolla some cajones
So I am thinking between 5 and 8 k if that is even possible.

oh.. 5 to 8k plus the resell value of your current Corolla 4 - 5k..

the safest route for this generation Corolla in-terms of performance...
if you can find a unmolested 2005 Corolla XRS or 1st Gen Corolla/Martix XRS ;)
if you want to find the "unicorn" that would be TRD Supercharge 1zzfe Corolla

I have done a little research into the TRD supercharger and they say it isn't worth the trouble to gain a few horses, on that note though, does anyone know of anything else that is bolt on that will give me a few horses that DOESN'T cost 6 k?

I have done a little research into the TRD supercharger and they say it isn't worth the trouble to gain a few horses, on that note though, does anyone know of anything else that is bolt on that will give me a few horses that DOESN'T cost 6 k?
it's A LOT better, then the I/H/E route!

If you want to make real power, it's going to cost you! You go the cheap route, it's going create problems and headaches.. SAVE UP $$$!

YOUR 1st mod.. if your seriously.. should be a piggyback ecu w/ harness + dyno and a tune. Your I/H/E/P are absolute garage without this mod! o_O

if you want to go with a safe mod.. set of wheels + summer/sport tires ;)