Winter Tires - Front only

Hello guys,

I just purchased 2 16inch steel rims and 2 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 winter tires for my car which I'm going to put on the front. I'm hearing that you're not really supposed to be doing that and install on all 4 because of instability it may cause. I know few people who have been doing it for ever and it's not that bad as far as rear end drifting. Basically you have to take it easy on turns and drive relatively safely, and you'll be able to pull out of blizzard snow and minimize the chance of getting stuck which is my main concern. Also I don't mind my rear sliding a bit, actually looking forward to it :) Let me know what you guys think.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Hello guys,

I just purchased 2 16inch steel rims and 2 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 winter tires for my car which I'm going to put on the front. I'm hearing that you're not really supposed to be doing that and install on all 4 because of instability it may cause. I know few people who have been doing it for ever and it's not that bad as far as rear end drifting. Basically you have to take it easy on turns and drive relatively safely, and you'll be able to pull out of blizzard snow and minimize the chance of getting stuck which is my main concern. Also I don't mind my rear sliding a bit, actually looking forward to it :) Let me know what you guys think.
Personally, I would have just gotten the extra 2 steel rims and 2 winter tires. You'll never know when you will need all 4 wheels to grip in the snow whether you are trying to avoid an accident or you had a spin out and you need the rear to grip. That's why if you can't afford or don't want to pay for 4 brand new wheels and winter tires, then just get a used set of winter tires and rims. I got my Goodyear winter tires mounted on 16" steel rims for $300 CAD a few years ago. The tires were literally brand new but the rims were all rusty so after another $40, I removed the rust and repainted the rims and they look like brand new. I probably saved $500+ by getting these wheels compared to brand new ones and these tires have helped a lot in the Canadian snow (as well as saved me a few times).

With front only winter tire you indeed won't get stuck and save a few bucks. But it's at the cost of having to be extra-careful and make many steering correction while driving partly because of oversteer/fishtailing and mostly because of odd breaking behavior. VSC might trigger more often and the extra ABS work would mean longer braking distances. Even not minding that in regular driving, it could become overwhelming in an emergency situation or transform a banal situation into an emergency situation. As ZeCorolla mention, it's not as much a winter tire problem as a two different grip properties on the same car. Where I live the law require 4 winter tires when it's cold - it's not just a snow matter - and I don't see it as a plot to profit tire sellers :)

rk97

It's a lot less likely that you're going to crash, get hurt, or die from being stuck versus losing control in a turn, or braking and having the back end of the car come around on you.

I'd move your snow tires to the back, or buy another pair.

I understand everything you guys have mentioned and it makes sense. I live in Chicago where when it snows, its 10in at once so if I get caught in a blizzard, everyone's driving slow where I don't have to worry about my back end coming loose and at least I won't get stuck with snow tires up front. I also take extra precautions and take turns very slowly when there's snow on ground. Once it stops snowing they're really good about cleaning up the streets so having snow tires up in front on clean streets shouldn't matter as much at that point. Also, Chicago and most Illinois is flat as hell so going downhill won't be a factor. I'm going to stick with my plan and report back after it snows :)

rk97

I'm going to come across as a dick for doing this, and I probably am being a bit of a dick, but sincerely, if you value your safety and the safety of those around you, I'd urge you to reconsider.

(portions in bold are MINE)

Hello guys,

I just purchased 2 16inch steel rims and 2 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 winter tires for my car which I'm going to put on the front. I'm hearing that you're not really supposed to be doing that and install on all 4 because of instability it may cause. That's correct. In fact no reputable shop will mount new or snow tires on the front for you. I know few people who have been doing it for ever and it's not that bad as far as rear end drifting. A few people you know have gotten lucky, and you're gambling that they know more than the collective testing and engineering knowledge of every tire manufacturer in the world, all of whom advise against your plan. Basically you have to take it easy on turns and drive relatively safely, and you'll be able to pull out of blizzard snow and minimize the chance of getting stuck which is my main concern. ...because getting stuck is worse than losing control on the road, possibly surrounded by other vehicles? Also I don't mind my rear sliding a bit, actually looking forward to it :) Let me know what you guys think. - Which we did ...and then you summarily dismissed multiple polite and well-reasoned posts encouraging you NOT to mount the tires with the most traction in front. If you were going to ignore the advice given, why did you request it in the first place?
If you don't want to believe the tire manufacturers, who admittedly want to sell more tires, I'm sure there are plenty of car magazines who have tested this, none of whom sell snow tires.

I get it, and it makes sense, but with snow on the ground there is no way I would be going this fast, no one is unless you're racing. This is way exaggerated they're going waaaay too fast for road conditions.

when it snows, its 10in at once so if I get caught in a blizzard, everyone's driving slow where I don't have to worry about my back end coming loose
In slow traffic, your main concern wouldn't be that but braking distances.
Once it stops snowing they're really good about cleaning up the streets so having snow tires up in front on clean streets shouldn't matter as much at that point
Actually, the main advantage of winter tires VS A/S is a gum that remains soft in colder temperature. Snow or ice efficiency depends more on thread, but the gum plays a big role even on dry pavement. Again, the problem isn't A/S themselves. One could even manage fine through winter with A/S. The problem is having such a difference grip between front and rear.

koby

I understand everything you guys have mentioned and it makes sense. I live in Chicago where when it snows, its 10in at once so if I get caught in a blizzard, everyone's driving slow where I don't have to worry about my back end coming loose and at least I won't get stuck with snow tires up front. I also take extra precautions and take turns very slowly when there's snow on ground. Once it stops snowing they're really good about cleaning up the streets so having snow tires up in front on clean streets shouldn't matter as much at that point. Also, Chicago and most Illinois is flat as hell so going downhill won't be a factor. I'm going to stick with my plan and report back after it snows :)
have went 2 winters in Chicago already with just all seasons and i was fine, just have to be mindful of your driving and the people around you.

I also live in Chicago so I understand how our winter's are here and having just the front wheels with snow tires is not a bad idea and I'm sure klebinek You're not Going To Be Racing with it and plus all your breaking power and traction comes the from the front anyways. Go for it and us posted how it goes.

rk97

I own a corolla because I totaled my Altima in a blizzard. I was doing 30 on the highway. That didn't prevent 5 cars in front of me from piling up and blocking the left 2 lanes of travel.

Even at 30 mph, I slid right into them. It was near white-out conditions, and even at 30 mph, by the time I saw them, I couldn't stop. Snow tires would probably have kept me from hitting them. They wouldn't have stopped the subsequent 20 cars from piling up behind me, but maybe my airbag wouldn't have gone off, and the dashboard wouldn't have smashed my knee.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Sometimes it's the driver that needs to have a lil bit more confidence. hardly snow on the ground but the path I needed to clear and had to get on the snow and why I slipped and made it than be a wedged sandwitch.

I finally put on my Blizzak W80s on the front right before we got around 8 inches of snow in Chicago. I've found an empty parking lot and tested every possible scenario.
Straight line breaking is fantastic, rear stays planted. 20 mph 90 degree turn no issues, this would be your typical snow day driving. The only time rear broke lose but stability control was able to correct it somewhat was when I was going 40mph, turned wheels around 60 degrees and hit breaks hard (would never go this fast with on snow covered pavement). Same thing with accelleration while turning rather hard, rear broke loose only after flooring it, again I had to work to get it out of control. Long story short, at least on these vehicles which have a pretty long wheel base, for my needs front winter tires are sufficient. Again, this is flat Chicago, if you live in Colorado or Alaska get 4 winter tires.
Posting few pics of the wheel, tire combo I got.

Attachments

Sure no problem. Next time it snows, I'll take some video footage and link it up here. I was skeptical myself and would get another pair in a heartbeat if it seemed sketchy but it looks like I won't have to.