Worst Case Scenarios for out 11th Gen Corollas

Hey guys,

I buy cars and drive them till the end so that got me thinking and so far there are two things that come to mind on 11th gens that can set you back a few hundred/thousands dollars and it has to do with the new technology Toyota introduced. I might be wrong and it may be a non issue for most but this is what I've noticed so far.

Our car is pretty much a carry over from previous gen except for it's longer (no issue), has a CVT, and Entune infotainment among new sheet metal and bunch of other small things that shouldn't matter as far as reliability.

The reason Toyota/Lexus are constantly number 1 in reliability ratings is because Toyota takes a very conservative approach and doesn't change much and if it does, it's only a thing or two and the rest is carried over from previous gens. Some may consider this boring but it's a perfect recipe for a problem free vehicle. It's mechanically identical to 10th gen aside for two big ones, CVT and Entune. Things like no turbo charged engine except for lexus 2.0 which my cuz has in his NX crossover, not bad little engine. But in our car for example, even though the car appears completely new, it's not. I think Toyota may be headed in small displacement boosted engines though since they offer that 2.0turbo on Lexus nx, gs, is, maybe even es,not sure but you get the point.

CVT has been good to me and even though some failures have been reported, who knows who's fault it really was and what lead to the failure. I wish someone could do a stress test or find a documented stress test on the K313 which would give us a better idea what to expect and how to go about maintaining it since Toyota says lifetime oil. ( I emailed Toyota corp and they confirmed lifetime oil, check for leaks on cvt every 30k).

The second issue reported is the radio rebooting, etc...Fortunately I haven't had this happen to me and if it ever does I do have a few things I can try that I recently came across from researching. This isn't that expensive to replace/fix and you can still drive, just an inconvenience if it was to happen. CVT, not so much you kind of dead in the water.

Let me know your thoughts if you've had similar feelings and concerns or if there's anything I've missed? Reason for this post is not to spread panic but just to keep us informed and brainstorm, share ideas, knowledge and experiences with our 11th gens. Cheers!

I thought I've made it pretty obvious why I didn't get the manual in my previous posts. Although I slightly regret it right now I also see benefits of CVT in my 40m + daily work commute. Having said that 99.9% of 11th gens out there are CVT hence my observation.

I thought I've made it pretty obvious why I didn't get the manual in my previous posts. Although I slightly regret it right now I also see benefits of CVT in my 40m + daily work commute. Having said that 99.9% of 11th gens out there are CVT hence my observation.
I was just replying in a general sense. You asked us what we thought about your 2 concerns so I addressed one of them by giving an option. Pretty simple really.

Pretty simple but if you already own a CVT and are paying it off, not much sense to get a manual and lose at trade in. Unless you're trading in low mileage premium cvt for a bare bones manual with high mileage. Not sure if I would go for something like that. My next one will be brand new, since it sounds like corolla for 2019 will discontinue MT, at least I've read a couple of articles on that, I can provide source later, if it comes down to it they only fun car that's reasonably priced is a 2018/19 honda fit sport. Comes in manual and will continue coming with manual. At least Honda is doing something right, even their new accord sedan offers a manual option which can't be said about a camry.

Pretty simple but if you already own a CVT and are paying it off, not much sense to get a manual and lose at trade in. Unless you're trading in low mileage premium cvt for a bare bones manual with high mileage. Not sure if I would go for something like that. My next one will be brand new, since it sounds like corolla for 2019 will discontinue MT, at least I've read a couple of articles on that, I can provide source later, if it comes down to it they only fun car that's reasonably priced is a 2018/19 honda fit sport. Comes in manual and will continue coming with manual. At least Honda is doing something right, even their new accord sedan offers a manual option which can't be said about a camry.
I never said to trade it in unless someone really wanted a MT. I would suggest that over trying to swap a CVT for a MT though. My comments are for those seeing this thread that might be wondering about this same thing. I wish that Toyota offered a MT on the Camry. I like the fact that Honda, Subaru and Mazda still offer MT on plenty of models. At least I have my current Toyotas with a MT.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
I'd like to see these articles or sources as well. All I've seen is a possible new CVT with no mention of a discontinuation of the manual.

The three main novelties of the current generation Corolla were the CVT, the 2ZR-FAE (Valvematic) in LE Eco and the stretched platform/wheelbase with slightly modified rear suspension. The latter did improve road manners, space and comfort. The 2 first significantly improved MPG. If CVT and 2ZR-FAE were new to NA, they weren’t to other markets. Plus, maybe to preserve reliability reputation, a new generation of Corolla is never marketed in NA in its first year. Yet there was a service campaign to flash the ECU of the 2ZR-FAE.

Beside some inevitable and more or less – mostly less! – documented odd units, the CVT seems to be doing fine despite the ambient “cvt phobia” generated by Fiat-GM, ZF-Ford and Jatco-Nissan experiences. Those had to go with recalls, extended warranties and tight maintenance schedule. Since Toyota, on the opposite, has the same maintenance schedule for all its transmission (manual, AT, CVT : check at X interval and act appropriately or change at X miles if severe usage), it somewhat lead to the “lifetime fluid” debate in the case of the CVT (why not the others ?), apparently encouraged by some dealers/technicians, but never mentioned in official documents. So the only “lifetime” involved is the one of the fluid itself!

Entune wasn’t new to the Corolla (at least as an option) and is shared with the rest of the Toyota line-up. Corolla or not, Plus/Premium iterations, which operate and update through cell phones seem to be the one prompt to glitches and freezes. Maybe that's the reason Entune 3.0 is leaving Blackberry QNX for an Auto Grade Linux based OS.

Will the CVT continue with the next generation? At entry level like the 4AT was at first? Impossible to know for now. From the article cited by Klebinek :
“Toyota has announced new 8 and 10 speed automatic transmissions that will be coming to replace a number of 6-speed and CVT units it currently uses, though it's not clear if these will make it into the new Corolla”.

Last edited:
The three main novelties of the current generation Corolla were the CVT, the 2ZR-FAE (Valvematic) in LE Eco and the stretched platform/wheelbase with slightly modified rear suspension. The latter did improve road manners, space and comfort. The 2 first significantly improved MPG. If CVT and 2ZR-FAE were new to NA, they weren’t to other markets. Plus, maybe to preserve reliability reputation, a new generation of Corolla is never marketed in NA in its first year. Yet there was a service campaign to flash the ECU of the 2ZR-FAE.

Beside some inevitable and more or less – mostly less! – documented odd units, the CVT seems to be doing fine despite the ambient “cvt phobia” generated by Fiat-GM, ZF-Ford and Jatco-Nissan experiences. Those had to go with recalls, extended warranties and tight maintenance schedule. Since Toyota, on the opposite, has the same maintenance schedule for all its transmission (manual, AT, CVT : check at X interval and act appropriately or change at X miles if severe usage), it somewhat lead to the “lifetime fluid” debate in the case of the CVT (why not the others ?), apparently encouraged by some dealers/technicians, but never mentioned in official documents. So the only “lifetime” involved is the one of the fluid itself!

Entune wasn’t new to the Corolla (at least as an option) and is shared with the rest of the Toyota line-up. Corolla or not, Plus/Premium iterations, which operate and update through cell phones seem to be the one prompt to glitches and freezes. Maybe that's the reason Entune 3.0 is leaving Blackberry QNX for an Auto Grade Linux based OS.

Will the CVT continue with the next generation? At entry level like the 4AT was at first? Impossible to know for now. From the article cited by Klebinek :
“Toyota has announced new 8 and 10 speed automatic transmissions that will be coming to replace a number of 6-speed and CVT units it currently uses, though it's not clear if these will make it into the new Corolla”.
Thanks for the info Jolly. Good info indeed.

I generally drive these things till I can't drive them anymore (think: wreck). I've driven my two previous Corolla's almost a half-million miles combined, with no issues. So far so good with my 2016 Corolla Eco, but at 60K, I'm getting a LOT of suspension creaking that I've never experienced with even very high mileage Corollas. It's intermittent, and doesn't really hurt anything. But it makes the car sound like a crappy old Dodge Neon. When people are in the car, they have commented.

I wouldn't worry about the CVT. Prius uses a CVT (probably the same one) and they have a reputation of being really reliable. I have the 6 speed, because it's what I like, but even manuals need repairs after a time. A new clutch is like $1k, so not cheap. There are probably going to be tons of CVT transmissions available (salvage) if needed.
As for entune, the stereo is really easy to swap out. I wouldn't hesitate if it starts to act up (assuming you own the car).

I generally drive these things till I can't drive them anymore (think: wreck). I've driven my two previous Corolla's almost a half-million miles combined, with no issues. So far so good with my 2016 Corolla Eco, but at 60K, I'm getting a LOT of suspension creaking that I've never experienced with even very high mileage Corollas. It's intermittent, and doesn't really hurt anything. But it makes the car sound like a crappy old Dodge Neon. When people are in the car, they have commented.

Same here I’ve been getting suspension noises since I bought the car at 15k. I also have an ECO 2014. Might be normal for our cars.

I wouldn't worry about the CVT. Prius uses a CVT (probably the same one) and they have a reputation of being really reliable. I have the 6 speed, because it's what I like, but even manuals need repairs after a time. A new clutch is like $1k, so not cheap. There are probably going to be tons of CVT transmissions available (salvage) if needed.
As for entune, the stereo is really easy to swap out. I wouldn't hesitate if it starts to act up (assuming you own the car).
I hear you, except for the tiny detail that Prius transmission is planetary and corolla's belt driven which are very different. Entune I'm not stressin, besides there may be a culprit such as the type of a phone you're pairing with your car, apple vs android etc.. Some peeps said they've never gotten an update, I've gotten 4 or 5 thus far and no problems, knock on wood.

I also kept some new cars until the end but all of those had a clutch in them. I have a CVT in my '17 and I just don't like it. It seems to lag when I try to pass. If all they offer is a CVT in '19 or '20 when I trade this will be my first and last corolla. I'll stay if they give me gears to row or a planetary six speed.

I'm strongly considering 2018 accord with the 2.0 turbo with manual transmission. Basically detuned civic type-r with smaller turbo and you can use regular gas which is a huge plus. Kind of pricey, sport version will run you 30grand with the 2.0 engine. Comes with 1.5 turbo as well but naaah.

I don't think you will go wrong with a Honda. My brother has been a fan for almost 40 years. ten different civics, preludes, and accords and all he ever changed was one front wheel bearing. All had sticks and all did over 80k trouble free. Very good looking cars too. These new turbochargers are super reliable. Anybody remember the turbos on the Mitsubishi that you had to idle for a few minutes before you turned the engine off to let them cool or the oil would jell.

Hmm, not sure how the new hondas are but I had a 92 Accord wagon which I've lowered and put nice chrome wheels on. Back in a day when this was a thing lol. Anyway, I bought it from some old lady with 90K after she just changed the timing belt and drove it problem free till I crashed it at 275k. This gen accords from 90-92 or 92 were the best accords IMHO. There is a video on youtube where a courier had one (automatic) and put million miles on it. I swear this car was amazing, wagon was super long and roomy. If I didn't crash it I would probably drive it till this day. This along with my 90 civic Si MT were two cars I should have kept and maybe even restored. Honda EF hatch is highly desirable these days along with CRX. If one only knew, but back on topic.

New Hondas, well some made in Mexico but with Trump's intentions to at least manufacture Toyota and other goods in America may be a good thing. I have no experience with any new models of Honda products so what you're saying is reliability degraded huh? I know Acura fell like 30 spots, transmission issues and other crap. I am missing a MT in a honda, they make the best MT in my opinion and the reverse is right back just like I like it instead of left up. Hate that.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Here is one for example: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1029462_2019-toyota-corolla-spy-shots

I've seen more articles that indicate the same.
"It’s too early to talk powertrains but expect a series of inline-4s and perhaps a hybrid option. Toyota has announced new 8- and 10-speed automatic transmissions that will be coming to replace a number of 6-speed and CVT units it currently uses, though it's not clear if these will make it into the new Corolla."

When the article says the 8 and 10 speed autos are replacing some 6 speed and CVT units, they mean the 6 speed automatic unit such as the one that was in the previous generation Camry. The new Camry now uses the new 8 speed auto. There is no other 6 speed manual that has been discontinued in a Toyota lately so they are for sure referencing the 6 speed automatics.

The CVT in the new gen Corolla could possibly be replaced by a newer design CVT or an 8 speed (I'm betting on a newer CVT unit or just continue using the current K313 CVT) but the 6 speed is most likely to stay I think. Looking at the compact car segment, a lot of the cars in this segment still have a stick shift option and with a lot of the current Corolla's 6 speeds being special order only, Toyota isn't losing money with the 6 speed manual anyways. As for the engine in the next Corolla, I still think it'll be a variation of the ZR engine series since the new CHR which is on the TNGA platform uses a 2.0L 3ZR and the 2ZR and 1ZR is still being used on many new model Toyota's such as the new Yaris GRMN. I don't know about a hybrid option though because it would probably eat into the sales of the Prius.