You Went How Fast?!

Kev250R

This is my other car
Seems to be slow on the site today so how about a top-speed thread :yes:

I'm generally a pretty conservative driver so I'll set the bar low at 80. :laughing:

Kevin

Kev250R

This is my other car
115 MPH Governor? But the speedo says it can go 150 :D

One of my close friends (who is not a fan of my Corolla) looked at the Speedo once and told me "If you can get this thing to a 140 I'll re-name my kid Kevin". Somehow I don't think her daughter has anything to worry about :laughing:

Kevin

Interesting thread Kev250R. Thanks for the contribution! :thumbsup:

Approximately 165-170 mph and there was a little left as the engine was still pulling strong, but after having sunk thousands of dollars into an engine rebuild, I didn't want to push it further for fear of something inside the engine letting go.

Vehicle: 1969 Yenko Camaro.

Engine: Chevrolet L-72 427, 450 horsepower high performance big block engine, bone stock. Rebuilt by Bob Chipper, (R.I.P.), the same gentleman that used to build engines for NHRA Top Fuel Champion Joe Amato.

Driver: Young and stupid.

Passenger: Needed new underwear. :D:laughing:

Last edited:
My girl is pretty good about my antics, but every once in a while I catch her off guard.

The one thing she hated was threshold braking when I got that EBC set in the Matrix, LOL!

115 MPH Governor? But the speedo says it can go 150 :D

One of my close friends (who is not a fan of my Corolla) looked at the Speedo once and told me "If you can get this thing to a 140 I'll re-name my kid Kevin". Somehow I don't think her daughter has anything to worry about :laughing:

Kevin
Even if you took the governor off ... you might hit 125 on a long straight and the car would be out of breath at that speed. As far as 140 goes ... speed governor off, a 10° downhill grade, and 60 m.p.h. tailwind, although I wouldn't trust the stock caster setting at that speed, LOL!

Kev250R

This is my other car
Wow, seems like we have some real speed demons here! :thumbsup:

I'm primarily a truck guy but I've hit 100 in three of my trucks at various times. Stupidest was about 10 years ago when I hit 100 in a 4Runner, while flat-towing my Manx 'Buggy :blink: Scariest was when I touched 100 in my lifted Silverado last winter way out in the desert. Scary because that truck has a 6" lift and 35" tires, and because my friends kid was in the backseat with a fractured wrist (quad mishap) on our way to a Hospital.

Kevin

Kev250R

This is my other car
My girl is pretty good about my antics, but every once in a while I catch her off guard.

The one thing she hated was threshold braking when I got that EBC set in the Matrix, LOL!
Mine too, she's definitly the speed-demon in the family. When I met her she drove a '00 Mustang GT. It got wrecked (not a bad thing, it was a huge pain to work on) and she ended-up in an '03 Corolla. She hates it, her kid loves it. She never hesitates to remind her that there will be another Mustang :laughing:

I'm still trying to find a way to scare her off-road. Hasn't happened...yet :shifty:

Kevin

Once opon a time I thought it would be a great idea to buy a mustang, well I went to the dealer and my friend who was the salesman had found a black 96 gt 5 speed with all the trimmings. So I bought it and quickly got into a habit of running 115 mph or more every day to work, and it was fun fun fun but there was one problem, sooner or later I would get busted or get killed or hurt some one else. needless to say I had to sell this car quick so I did. I have no self control with fast cars, I even caught myself trying to do this in my corolla too.

I use the cruise control as much as I possibly can for several reasons. First of all, it saves gas and money. Secondly, I can set it to the speed limit and forget it, not having to worry about unintentionally getting a speeding ticket. This also makes for low stress driving.:thumbsup:

Kev250R

This is my other car
I use cruise control if I'm on an open highway for a long stretch, I rarely use it around town. My problem is that my daily driver for work doesn't have cruise control so I get used to not having it so then I forget to use it when I'm driving something which does :rolleyes:

Kevin

I went 145 mph in a 2002 Camaro SS. Won't do that again.

Corolla has barely seen 80. I'd be embarrassed taking an LE Eco Premium any faster, lol. I lose gas mileage from going faster than 65!

I've gone about 80 in my new Corolla, and that's it for me in that car. Great commuter car and gets wonderful mileage, but at it's core, the little Toyota is not a performance car and doesn't pretend to be one.....

I've owned lots of cars in my 30 years of driving and none compare to the feeling of a performance sedan of European decent. I had a Volvo S80 T6, the twin turbo model, that could cruise triple digits all day and never felt nervous or overworked while doing so. The cars have distinctly different transportation missions... This isn't to say that the Corolla can't be driven hard and fast, just that when the engineers designed the Corolla, big speed was not built into the design.

What was built into the design are the traits that make the Corolla what it is; economical, safe, reliable and affordable. If you are looking for big performance, there are plenty of great cars available that have been designed to deliver that....but don't necessarily expect those cars to be competitive with the Corolla from an economic standpoint - the old adage "Speed costs" is still true...

rk97

Only 80 so far in the Corolla

179 on my Kawasaki ZX-14

Dan
I have "time traveled" in the corolla - and by "time traveled," I mean I get bored when the wife and I drive to DC to visit friends, and somewhere in Maryland we get the GPS up to 88 mph and yell "WHAT DID I TELL YOU?!? 88 MILES PER HOUR!" in our best Doc Brown voices.

on bikes, I raced 600cc sportbikes for a few years, so probably 140 or so. It takes a lot of straightaway to get up to 150. The bikes were probably capable, but the tracks weren't big enough - I mean, they were, but not if I wanted to brake and turn instead of crashing at 150+

casmic

haha good stuff. 150 is moving. anyone can go straigt. see turn=panic/.....takes alot longer to stop from 150 in a panic. and yes I have been in that panic state more than Id like lol....200mph club

Last edited by a moderator:
I hit a genuine 142mph in my old 70 440 Roadrunner(modified) with 3.23 gears. That was over 30 years ago, and on a wide open empty freeway. I have no desire to do such things like that in my old age. I have hit 92mph in my S 5-speed before backing off.

Had a world of fun with the girlfriends '11 tc on some empty highways in Nebraska. We didn't go over 120 I don't think, and the 115 top end of my '14 corolla s didn't seem too hard to get to, although I doubt the engine can go much past 125

Interesting thread Kev250R. Thanks for the contribution! :thumbsup:

Approximately 165-170 mph and there was a little left as the engine was still pulling strong, but after having sunk thousands of dollars into an engine rebuild, I didn't want to push it further for fear of something inside the engine letting go.

Vehicle: 1969 Yenko Camaro.

Engine: Chevrolet L-72 427, 450 horsepower high performance big block engine, bone stock. Rebuilt by Bob Chipper, (R.I.P.), the same gentleman that used to build engines for NHRA Top Fuel Champion Joe Amato.

Driver: Young and stupid.

Passenger: Needed new underwear. :D:laughing:
"Bone stock"...this has peaked my interest...170 mph? How did your stock chassis, suspension, trans and everything else put that power to the ground? Seams like it would take more than 1969 technology to handle that speed...but idk.