1999 Corolla - Issues

MattH

I just bought a 99 Corolla with 126k on the clock. I plan to change the oil/filter and transmission fluid. The radiator is new, so coolant shouldn't be an issue. The day I looked at it I noticed the clip on the wiring harness for the drivers side signal bulb was broke. I tried to hook it up but ended up blowing a fuse under the dash labeled "TAIL". I replaced it and took it home. Yesterday I noticed the exterior lights stay on all the time, so I found the DRL fuse block under the hood and shorted it out. The headlights turned off, BUT they wouldn't turn on by the switch inside the car. I checked all the fuses again and removed then reinserted the DRL main fuse. Everything was back the same now, with the exterior lights still staying on all the time until I pull the key out of the ignition. The issue now is the interior dash lights will work sometimes in relation to the stick on the steering column, but for the most part they never work or they just stay on, and the exterior lights are on all the time. I talked to a mechanic at Toyota. He said he has seen this issue before, and it would be 1 of 3 things 1.) Bad DRL relay 2.) Bad light switch on column 3.) Bad DRL brain box under dash. Any suggestions for this issue or any other concerns for this car? Thanks.

Also, before I change the transmission fluid, I want to make sure I use the correct fluid. Will any Dexron III from the parts store be okay.. Or do I NEED special lube from Toyota? And I noticed there is a filter inside the pan. Is the filter just a normal bolt up type (unbolt old, bolt new one in?) Thanks.

Hi Matt. I'm a 26 year independent AMSOIL synthetic lubricants Dealer and you can use the link below to my Online Product Application Guide that will provide you the listing for the correct type of transmission fluid for your Corolla as well as the quantity of fluid needed and also the correct Wix transmission filter for it -

http://www.amsoil.com/products/application_guide.aspx?zo=349698

Dexron III rated transmission fluid is the incorrect fluid for your Corolla's transmission and is an out of date rating. Instead Toyota specifies Toyota Type T-III and T-IV rated transmission fluid. This is not a Toyota fluid, but a Toyota performance standard for transmission fluid, just like Dexron III or IV is for GM vehicles. In other words, there are several different brands of automatic transmission fluid you can use that are Toyota Type T-III and T-IV rated beyond the very expensive fluid Toyota dealers parts departments sell, with their very high mark-up.

AMSOIL developed the first 100% synthetic transmission fluid in the world back in 1980, over 30 years ago and leads the industry in experience with synthetic transmission fluids. Plus, the prices I can get you will be lower than what you'd pay for the high mark-up Toyota dealer fluid. AMSOIL synthetic ATF offers extended fluid life, superior cold and hot weather protection/operation, improved fuel economy, quieter operation and a reduction in operating temperatures that can greatly add to an automatic transmissions life. Below is the link to this product that will provide you with more information. I can get you prices lower than what is listed at this link -

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ehicle-automatic-transmission-fluid?zo=349698

I can also provide you access to high quality Wix transmission filters with a price that will make you smile. :) If you'd like an oil that will provide for reduced maintenance costs, longer engine life, an increase in fuel economy, an internally cleaner engine, lower engine operating temperatures, lower emissions, easier winter starting and an internally cleaner engine, I can take care of your oil and filter needs as well. I have a product distribution center right in Virginia.

As for the electrical gremlins the car is having, I recommend following the advice of the Toyota technician your spoke with.

Last edited:

MattH

There it is, that's what I've been waiting for :) This looked like a pretty solid forum, but I was starting to have my doubts. Scott, you sound like a very reputable man. As the fluid is pretty low and dirty the car will be out on the road this week and I will more than likely get the transmission components at Toyota this time. Next time I will be in touch with you (after a little research of course). My main concern was using the correct fluid. Thanks for all the info bud!

Jon

Administrator
Thanks for letting Scott know that he helped you out. He has a ton of great knowledge, that everyone can use, but not too many people let him know that!

MattH

I just left Toyota.. $10 a quart of Trans fluid! It was just regular Dexron III and they said and Dexron III OR Dexron IV will work, so I'm confused. If I go to the parts store what kind of fluid do I need to get? And Toyota couldn't give me the correct filter because they don't have the VIN. I told them its a 18 bolt pan. Also they said they have a cork gasket now instead of using silicone.

Last edited:

MattH

Thanks for the info. As I need to get the car on the road and the previous treatment is unknown, I dropped the pan, changed the filter and fluid with a Dexron III from Advanced Auto Parts. Even tho the fluid I used may not be correct, it will do for now untill I order some synthetics from you :) The filter and pan were CAKED in metal gunk! I will be in touch with you about your products. Thanks Scott.

Last edited: