2011 Corolla - Weird Sound When in Drive

Whenever I start my car and put it in drive, I hear a gear-ish sound upon acceleration. At first I thought it was a locking mechanism (that's what it sounds like), but it's not that. It only does it if the car is put in park and turned off. If I come to a complete stop and leave it running, it doesn't make this noise.
I don't know much about cars. Is this common or does anyone have any idea what's causing it?

Presume you have an automatic. Is this something new that just started?

When you say a "gear-ish" sound, do you mean a sound that sounds like gears grinding?

First things first.

Park your car on level ground. Start the engine, then go R-N-D-N-R and repeat 3x, giving each gear enough time to engage (~2 seconds), then put the transmission in P and WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, check the transmission fluid level with the dipstick.

If it is low, slowly add fluid (the difference between low and full on the dipstick is a pint, so don't throw in a quart at a time and don't overfill it ... keep it in the middle of low and full to be safe).

If not, then we will go from there. Also, a video will help out greatly. That will let us see if it is a bearing noise or something else.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
this gearish noise

you say happens in two ways??? does the sound differ in acc, and in park?

Does it happen in cold start, and not warm s up?

Wonder if it can be a loose part, or meshed gear.

your year make and mode is as important to? like Don.... said video.