Anyone Flush Your Transmission Yet?

I have a 2010 corolla with 80k on it. Has anyone changed your fluid by using a house on the return into a pal method? I want to change it all...not just drain 3 quarts. It says it holds 6.9 qts for the auto 1.8. Thanks

Sure. When upgrading to AMSOIL synthetic ATF, hundreds of my customers have flushed their transmissions with great results. I can send you detailed step-by-step instructions, along with a couple of video's if you wish?

Last edited:
Good afternoon!

I'm new to this forum, so I'm still gleaning a lot of info and "lurking" :) However, I did have a question regarding the transmission on my 2010, 1.8L Corolla LE with 53k miles on it.

I've had a difficult time finding definitive info regarding the transmission service intervals. The Owner's Manual Maintenance Log only references inspecting the transmission fluid at the 60k mile interval, and I don't see any recommendations for changing the fluid unless the vehicle was used for towing, then the log recommends a fluid change at 60k miles. Out car has definitely not been used for towing :)

During routine warranty maintenance at the local dealership, I asked the tech about servicing the transmission, and he advised to have it serviced at 90k miles (I still don't see anything in Toyota's documentation regarding this change) and he printed out a copy of the Corolla maintenance schedule from Toyota's TIS.

Based on the information in this thread, it looks like people are doing their own drain-and-fill transmission services. However, based on Toyota's TSB TC010-07, it looks like this job is impossible for the weekend mechanic without access to Toyota's Transmission Fill System (looks like there is also a closed topic, on this form, regarding this issue as well).

Does this service bulleting also apply to the 2010 models (since they are using the Toyota WS fluid standard)? I'm trying to discern whether I will be able to complete this service on my own, or if I will need to shop around for a shop that has this specific equipment.

Sure. When upgrading to AMSOIL synthetic ATF, hundreds of my customers have flushed their transmissions with great results. I can send you detailed step-by-step instructions, along with a couple of video's if you wish?
Scott, can you send me instructions & videos as well? Super please & thanks!

I have a 2010 corolla with 80k on it. Has anyone changed your fluid by using a house on the return into a pal method? I want to change it all...not just drain 3 quarts. It says it holds 6.9 qts for the auto 1.8. Thanks
From what I have read...DON'T CHANGE IT!!! Unless you have a burnt smell when you check the dipstick, leave everything alone. Changing the fluid can actually shorten the life of the transmission on Toyota vehicles. According to the manual, it should just be checked and topped off if required during a regular scheduled servicing. The only time a filter change and complete fluid change is required/recommended is if you live in an environment that is dustier than normal.

I have a 2010 corolla with 80k on it. Has anyone changed your fluid by using a house on the return into a pal method? I want to change it all...not just drain 3 quarts. It says it holds 6.9 qts for the auto 1.8. Thanks[/QUOTE

Your WS fluid never needs changed or flushed ( except under severe service conditions ) as per Toyota. Now there's a lot of people on these forums that are driven crazy by this. Just can't wrap their minds around something this elementary. But let me say - leave it alone. I have a 2009 Matrix that has 111,000 miles and it's still a nice color and shifts like the day I bought it. Several new cars don't even have dip sticks or drain plugs on the transmission to keep the Vo tech grads who think their diploma says MIT away from it. Watch for leaks,monitor color, and relax.

LOL, Corollas are not BMWs, you need to change them, I may say 4 years or 80K kms.

DO NOT USE other SYNTHETIC or ATFs. use whats recommended.

BUT its all up to you.

I have a 2010 S model with 101,000 miles. I had my Toyota dealer change the fluid at 80,000 miles. I'm not one of the "Toyota transmission fluid never needs to be changed " people. Our 2008 Sienna has 160,000 miles and changed the transmission fluid at 80,000 and will be doing it again soon. She runs like the day we bought her.

LOL, Corollas are not BMWs, you need to change them, I may say 4 years or 80K kms.

DO NOT USE other SYNTHETIC or ATFs. use whats recommended.

BUT its all up to you.
Corolla owners may use any brand transmission fluid they wish, as long as it meets the performance specifications recommended by Toyota, which in this case is the Toyota WS performance specification. "Toyota WS" is not a brand, but a performance specification, i.e. like Grade A eggs are not a brand. This is per the Federal law known as the Magnuson Moss Warranty Improvement Act. Per law, vehicles owners can not be forced to use original equipment parts, i.e. spark plugs, belts, hoses, brake pads, oils, transmission fluids, etc.

From the Federal Trade Commission -

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Last edited:
Scott( and others) - what are your thoughts on changing the gear oil(manual tranny) ? I can remember "back in the day" when there were automatic transmission rebuild shops(yes - only automatic transmissions). This was because most owners never changed the fluid/filter or checked band torque. Back then manual tranny rebuilds were rare(even if the gear oil was never changed) - probably due to old age or abuse.

It seemed like they were still going strong around here(Tri-Cities, WA) thru the 80's, but faded as the 90's progressed. At that time there were still plenty of manual transmissions. My previous car was a Saturn Ion. It was the only manual I ever saw in that model. I traded it in for my 2013 S when I saw the Corolla's manual. I've always liked to shift - especially in my muscle car days. Even with late model Corolla's( small car/small engine) they seem fairly rare. Of the three types(L, LE, and S) I think Toyota only offered a manual on the S package ? Most small cars with small engines in yesteryear seemed to have 4 and 5-speeds.

I have always changed my gear oil in my manual transmission cars every 30k-35k miles with Redline synthetic gear oil. My 2009 Corolla S shifts as good as the day it was new. On my only auto transmission in my 1995 Previa I have it changed every 30k miles with Toyota ATF. My 2010 Prius with a CVT also uses Toyota WS fluid like the Corolla and the Prius forums recommend changing it every 30k-50k miles. Luckily like my MT cars its a simple drain and fill for all 4 quarts, very easy! Just remember that it's always better to change fluids sooner than later!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
And mine the same in my opinion, I am not saying it is right or wrong I just said I am not changing my ATF this time round in other topics and all.