Buying First Car/Corolla

Hey guys, looking into to buying my first car and I’ve come across a 1992 Corolla CSi Seca manual hatchback that looks to be in beautiful condition with only about 70,000kms on it. I just wanted to ask if there are any know issues that go wrong with this particular car that I should look for when checking it out (Just stuff they might be notorious for like gearboxes going and stuff.). Thanks for your help!

Attachments

Buddy

No clue, but that looks like a cute little banger! I'd nab that up in a heartbeat if it runs well. Make sure to take it to a mechanic for an inspection before you buy it so that you will know what you're getting into. I got a free '90 Corolla wagon from my buddy that I fell in love with, but is going to need a bunch of work. Which is great since I'm wanting to learn.

How does this one drive? Does the engine run smooth, AC and heat work? Are there any oil leaks? Odd sounds when running. Do the seat belts work and are in good condition?

A good mechanic will help you identify things right off the bat that you'll need to address. And then I'd recommend you factor that into the cost of the vehicle. I got mine for free, but I'm going to have to put in about 1k of parts and do the work myself to keep on budget and make it run great and be safe.

Cheers,
Mike

Yeah I grabbed one for my first too, not gonna blow your socks off but they drive really well, reliably and is surprisingly zippy for a 1.6L. In fact mine is the same model, Aussie, and only issues I've had were heat related. It hadn't been serviced in a long time so I'm working on fixing her up slowly then taking a full service. Nothing they're notorious for and no major design flaws as Toyota are great with their little 4A's

Honestly, I don't know, but anyway, Toyota is known as one of the safest and durable cars. I also prefer old cars, and even though it is pretty difficult to find such cars, I collect them all around the world. Usually, I buy cars at a Japan auction and contact a car shipping company that always helps me. I think you can also check different auctions to find out the real price of this type of car. Maybe you will find a cheaper offer, I don't know. Anyway, I wish you to buy the best car and to drive it safely.