CVT Transmission Service

Happy Weekend Everyone,

I have a 2017 Corolla LE with 30,000 miles, and I would like to keep it running well for as long as possible. My question is, should I service the transmission or not? I do not see any mention of tranny service in the maintenance guide, and I have read some conflicting opinions. It sounds like if I am going to do any maintenance I should start now, as doing it after putting on a lot of miles might actually do more harm than good.

Thanks for any input!

ToyBoy

I have a 2014 corolla with 67000 miles and had mine changed at the dealer at 60,000 mile. Was it necessary? I drive pretty modestly , no hard take offs . Just try to do things that hopefully keep the car in fine condition.

I have a 2014 corolla with 67000 miles and had mine changed at the dealer at 60,000 mile. Was it necessary? I drive pretty modestly , no hard take offs . Just try to do things that hopefully keep the car in fine condition.
Thanks for your reply. I want to keep mine running nice as well.

I do not see any mention of tranny service in the maintenance guide
Yes : it mentions to check every 30K and change at 60K (for severe usage). It's the same indication for any auto/CVT trans from Toyota. 30K sound a bit overkill - more like for a manual transmission - but like early oil change, if it brings nothing, it also can't hurt !

Just curious... What are you guy's paying for the CVT service? I'm just now starting to check into estimates as I'm approaching 60K miles. Dealer quoted $300. Looking at independent Toyota shops now. Looks like the fluid alone is $$.

I would change the CVT transmission fluid every 30-40K, most especially on any random-reliability push-belt CVT. You can't baby those things enough & count yourself lucky if it makes it to 120K.

I also plan to change the fluid in my manual transmission every 30-40K. Areas of extreme hot/cold weather seasons make this doubly important, & it's the best way to maximize your chances of your transmission lasting as long as possible (plus not driving it like a hormonal idiot). :p

Actually, I sent an email request to Toyota customer service regarding the CVT fluid change interval since the dealers in my area are providing conflicting information. Some say 60K, most specify 100K earliest. My owners manual has no reference to CVT service at all.

Attachments

I would change the CVT transmission fluid every 30-40K, most especially on any random-reliability push-belt CVT. You can't baby those things enough & count yourself lucky if it makes it to 120K.

I also plan to change the fluid in my manual transmission every 30-40K. Areas of extreme hot/cold weather seasons make this doubly important, & it's the best way to maximize your chances of your transmission lasting as long as possible (plus not driving it like a hormonal idiot). :p
Another town crier

My owners manual has no reference to CVT service at all
The owner manual doesn't, but the maintenance guide that comes with the car (at least came with mine) also says to inspect fluid every 30K (and decide, I assume, except for severe service which recommend a change at 60K). It's the same whether AT or CVT.

wmg.jpg

I'll have to take a look at my guide. Inspect transmission fluid on a CVT. I wonder what that means. No dipstick. Probably just check the level with some type of an acoustic sensor. Well... screw it. Not paying for that, if no leaks. I'm going to wait until 100K for replacement.

Inspect transmission fluid on a CVT. I wonder what that means.
As far as I know, it's about retrieving codes, especially about temperature peaks, a critical data to insure the fluid wasn't compromise at some point. And visual inspection for leaks. Not a big deal all in all.

You are not the first one and the only one with such a problem with your car, why don't you visit a service center? I am sure there you will find a way to solve your problem. I had a similar problem on my 2006 corolla, and after a mechanic saw it, he said that everything was alright. I decided to check it by myself, and I compared the car specifications I found on https://gearboxy.com/ and problems that I found on my car. You can also try this method.

You are not the first one and the only one with such a problem with your car, why don't you visit a service center? I am sure there you will find a way to solve your problem. I had a similar problem on my 2006 corolla, and after a mechanic saw it, he said that everything was alright. I decided to check it by myself, and I compared the car specifications I found on https://gearboxy.com/ and problems that I found on my car. You can also try this method.
Sounds interesting, thank you

Had a drain and fill done at about 50K miles at my local dealership. Paid around $350. The service advisor also said they dont start recommending one until we hit 100K. But didnt try any harder to stop me from getting it done. He did want to charge me $150 for a diagnostic fee on a noise I believe was coming from my lower control arm bushings as indicated on a TS-B...but that's a different story.

I may have wasted money but i don't think it hurt any else but my pocketbook. I simply wanted it done, by a dealership, before my 60K warranty runs out; I'm at 57K now.

-Br.

The name "drain & fill" would seem to mean just what it says: Pan and it's contents removed, trans filter and gasket replaced, pan re-secured, fluid level topped up.

As opposed to a "transmission flush" or "power flush" transmission service at the dealer or mechanic shop.

I have yet to do my (50K) 2014 Corolla but on my Tacoma I've done the ATF changes as full-flush. I do them myself by directing the transmission cooler line into a bucket until the fluid coming out looks as new as what I am filling with. It takes about 23-24 quarts of ATF to accomplish. I want to go over the Corolla in the spring of 2022 from top to bottom - so I'll likely 'full flush' the transmission then. There are suspension noises I want to look into but I'll do all the fluids since my hands will already be dirty anyway. <g>

I wonder if they are draining all the fluid when they did that ?

I had mine done at the dealer on my 2014 Corolla. It was 60k miles . But I don`t know if they did a complete flush or just a drain and fill.