Disable Beeping/Chime...HELP!

I'm trying to shut off two things:
1. The beeping when you lock/unlock the vehicle using keyless entry
2. The seatbelt warning chime

Both are separate and very annoying sounds to me that I'm trying to get rid of...someone please help...thank you in advance.

2010 Corolla S

Someone else on a forum asked the same question. He stated that the dealership told him that they could not be disabled (after he was referred to the dealership).

You just gotta live with them.

I'm trying to shut off two things:
1. The beeping when you lock/unlock the vehicle using keyless entry
2. The seatbelt warning chime

Both are separate and very annoying sounds to me that I'm trying to get rid of...someone please help...thank you in advance.

2010 Corolla S
You can change the lock/unlock beep but dealer has to do it, I was lucky my friend at the dealer just hooked up their laptop and asked me what I wanted to do. As for the seatbelt chime, I wouldn't recomend that if it can be be done thats a safety feature that should be left on.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Is that center thing where you see the bell thing the thingto disable. nothing wrong with silencing the bell sounds, tampering with it is another story

You can change the lock/unlock beep but dealer has to do it, I was lucky my friend at the dealer just hooked up their laptop and asked me what I wanted to do. As for the seatbelt chime, I wouldn't recomend that if it can be be done thats a safety feature that should be left on.
Thank you, wish I knew someone, called two dealerships and they both told me that they couldn't shut it off...

Seat belt chime? There should not be an option to turn it off. If a dealership disables a safety feature and you go and get in a wreck and severly injure yourself then you could probably sue the dealership. That's why no dealership would ever do what you are asking them to.

I disagree but see your point, I view it as my choice on whether to wear it or not and I assume the responsibility if something should happen...but as far as the lock chime...That should absolutely be able to be shut off

I disagree but see your point, I view it as my choice on whether to wear it or not and I assume the responsibility if something should happen...but as far as the lock chime...That should absolutely be able to be shut off
So you sign a statement that you won't sue anyone should you hurt yourself due to not wearing a seatbelt. Great.

Heaven forbid that you then go kill yourself and your family sues the dealership. They didn't sign anything.

This is why they won't touch your safety features.

As far as the door chime goes, "I didn't hear the chime and didn't realize my door wasn't latched!" Say that in court after your door opens and hits someone's car and the dealership is responsible. So you sign a release of liability and do the same thing. Then the person who's car you hit sues the dealership. Or your insurance company sues the dealership.

This is why dealerships won't do stuff like what you're requesting.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
All you have to do is find the buzzer, did you find it? that to me is the safest route, than not knowing what you are cutting? See video of person doing what you requested.

Also the simple solution to your door chime, is to locate the open/close button, and modify it. then you won't have lights but no sound. Nw you know what to look for and good luck.

Or locate a door chime relay and remove it!
I would not advice tampering with the Mods the forum mods, they preach safety!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I wonder what if you do find it and stop it, will the outside chime work> or tied in as a whole, or separate piece? Something I will look at but not touch. Toyota did a good job making it loud enough to not be upset each and every time if one forgets, 30 seconds later it is OFF! As simple electronic chime not that annoying DING DING DING!

Kev250R

This is my other car
I also find the chime annoying. I generally drive with my seat belt on but do frequently move my cars around in or out of my driveway without wearing my seat belt.

It's funny how different manufacturers have different opinions on the topic; Toyota told you they wouldn't touch it whereas Ford lists in the owners manual of my '11 F-450 how to disable the tone on their trucks (not sure if it works on their cars or not).

Kevin

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Well one day I guess when we get in our cars, trucks, Hovercrafts, the vehicle will not start, because, we did not buckle up. Yep the 1970's was the time, now our dogs has to be buckled up.

Thanks and once again...I'm not looking for a debate on whether it should be left on or off...I want MINE OFF!

Kevin, you're right it is amazing how much the options can change from one manufacturer to another, the one on my truck took 10 seconds to shut off, this one not so much...

Im not saying that it should be left on. I really couldn't care less if you disable it. I was simply explaining why a dealer won't disable a factory installed safety feature.

Kev250R

This is my other car
Well one day I guess when we get in our cars, trucks, Hovercrafts, the vehicle will not start, because, we did not buckle up. Yep the 1970's was the time, now our dogs has to be buckled up.
It's funny you mentioned that, a couple of years ago I bought (and later that same day) sold an early 1974 (I think) VW Beetle. When I got the car it was non-running but had been running when it was parked. Before I could even turn a wrench on it I'd already sold it to a friend. This friend (a hard-core VW guy) decided to get the car running. He and a friend spent most of an afternoon working on it and couldn't get it to start. They tried different batteries, two starters, played with the ignition, carb you name it. Finally his wife (who is not a VW person or a gearhead) casually mentioned that back in college she'd owned a car which wouldn't start unless the seatbelt was buckled. My friend scoffed at her, then tried it and the car started.

It doesn't surprise me that GM would do something like that in their new models. I own a GM product (Silverado) so I can attest that they design a lot of their products for idiots; if it's dark I can turn my own lights on thank you, if I want to change lanes I can look in my mirrors on my own, or if I'm just trying to line my truck up to my trailer I don't need my seatbelt thank you. For the record my Silverado is a rare one which does not have OnStar, the auto lights and seatbelt buzzer in my Silverado have been gone a long time and I'm still alive :)

Kevin

If stupid people didn't exist, we wouldn't need seatbelt chimes, or warning labels for that matter, but eugenics are frowned upon and "cruel", so we have them. Thank the moron that kills himself not wearing his seatbelt for the chimes and warning lights.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Guess these are good examples for the kids. and other people. Where's the thumbs down Icon!

I can sit outside , watch the famalies, hop out grab their kids from daycare, and toss their babies in and off they go. No car seat, no seat belt, because they think they have no care, for any one else! in the world, but themselves.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
There is this Nice Big Blue Relay, located behind the OBI reader cover, where the hood latch is located at. All I observe while taking care of other things in that section. Put hand on it, you feel it working, hear it clicking as Door lock/unlock, hearing that chime.