DIY 3d printed phone dock/charger

Hi all. Fairly new to the forums but thought I'd share a DIY I've been having some fun with lately.

The project came about because I wanted a place to put my phone in the car where it could charge and not rattle around all the time. I know there are clip on style ones available for vents/windscreen but decided to try come up with something a little neater/integrated with the car.

My idea was to integrate a charger and dock into the existing removable cup holder "divider" in the center console. So basically design a new "divider" to hold a phone and charge cable.

Initial concept of how the phone would "sit" within the console

Rough orientation the phone will sit in relation to the divider

Measured up OEM divider with some calipers, measured up the phone and this is what I came up with! First cut of the design in solid works

You can make out the charging pin below. Integrating it with the dock was a small project in itself!

First prototype 3d printed - a few clearance issues which were sorted out in rev 2

Close-up - you can make out the charging pin. Turned out to be a bit of a challenge to integrate the pin with the main body but got there in the end.

Pulling apart the center console trim to run the wiring. Coming from a euro car I love how easy it is to pull these cars apart!

Console trim removed first. Wiring disconnected from switches for ease of access to remaining trim

Shifter surround trim removed.

Small piece of trim adjacent to the cigarette lighter removed, required small amount of force

Pulling apart the cigarette lighter trim - this is where we will tap the power from.

Tapping the cigarette lighter plug

Now for the slightly scary bit - drilling a hole in the console for the USB outlet! A Christmas tree bit is perfect for this kind of thing but unfortunately I didn't have one on hand. Had to physically grind most of it with a dremel - didn't have any drill bits large enough.

Usb outlet installed directly underneath "divider" to keep out of view.

All wired up. Inline fuse installed b/w USB and lighter also. I routed the wiring to the right of the shifter and followed the path of the OEM wiring with a few zip ties. All in all pretty easy

And done! I'm relatively happy with the results. Nice easy place to put the phone without it getting in the way of anything and looks OEMish. The show unit can be disconnected easily for future removal, basically goes in/out the same as the OEM divider. The only issue is its printed out of pla which get soft around 50 deg, quite likely to be a summer issue! Will see how it goes anyway - I can always get it reprinted in ABS which has a much higher heat resistance. Enjoy!

that doesn't look like an american model....is you wheel on the right side or is it just the picture? the US model has a holder like that.

Yep its an Australian model so all euro spec. Any links to the holder you speak of? Had a bit of a look around but certainly couldnt find anything myself.

Thomas

If you could do a more detailed write-up of how you removed the trim, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to move the USB port from the dash are to inside the center console so I can leave my devices plugged in without being visible. Right now I just have the USB port disconnected from the dash and sitting loosly in the glove box.

Ok, I've actually had a few people ask for a bit more detail on the trim removal so here it is. Honestly its not scary at all and there is little risk you'll break anything. But hopefully this gives people a little more confidence to have some fun with interior mods!

Step 1.
Remove "cupholder trim" surround. Grasp the rear of the trim as shown and pull vertically. This will only disconnect the rear of the trim. Don't try and remove it completely just yet.

Step 2.
Repeat at the front end of the trim piece. Here you are only looking to just loosen the clips fixing the trim in place, don't expect to move it much just yet.

Step 3.
You'll notice the silver bezel around the shifter is now slightly raised due to the movement of the cupholder trim. Youll now be able to get your fingers underneath it. Grasp it at the rear and pull upwards to remove.

Step 4.
You can now fully remove the cupholder surround trim. Grasp at the front and pull upwards. If you have switches in the trim you can now access the underside to disconnect the wiring plugs. The trim will still be attached to the handbrake gator but the gator can be removed easily enough from the handbrake . It just slides over the top and can be pulled off with a little wriggling.

Step 5.
Loosen the shifter surround trim. Grasp it at the rear and pull upwards to dis-engauge the clips holding it in place.

Step 6.
There is a small piece of trim on the drivers side and just below the cigarette lighter trim. From the bottom end of the trim, grasp and pull towards you to disengauge the clips. It helps to the get your fingernails in the gap where it meets the surrounding trim (red circle) and pull.

Step 6.
We can now remove the shifter surround trim. To disengage the last remaining clips located adjacent the cigarette lighter pull towards you. You'll notice the shifter will now be blocking removal of the trim. Start the car, move the shifter out of the way and pull the trim free. At this point I would disconnect the battery in preparation for any electrical work you'll be doing.

Step 7.
Remove the cigarette lighter trim. Easiest way I found is to remove the blank switch "plugs". It will then be easier for you to grasp the trim to remove. Use a trim removal tool (or a butter knife, but be careful not to mark trim) to leaver out the plugs.

Step 8.
Grasp the cigarette lighter trim and pull towards you to remove. You can now remove the electrical plug to the lighter and access power supply wiring. I tapped the lighter power supply by cutting the plug off completely, stripping back both lead ends, and recombining with 2 new leads. I used crimps but if you're handy with solder and heat shrink that is the way to go. I then wrapped with a liberal amount of electrical tape to keep everything looking clean and OEMish. Note that the cigarette lighter negative is the white cable with black stripe.

Step 9.
Your now done! Crack a cold one

Last edited:
Creative mod! I wouldn't be able to do this mod because I frequently use my phone to navigate while driving to unknown destinations (Yes in retrospect I would have gotten the S premium model with Manual transmission in white for the same price I paid for my blue Automatic transmission S plus and received the in dash GPS). Very nifty, hopefully Apple doesn't decide to change up their charging ports in the near future. :p:D

Creative mod! I wouldn't be able to do this mod because I frequently use my phone to navigate while driving to unknown destinations (Yes in retrospect I would have gotten the S premium model with Manual transmission in white for the same price I paid for my blue Automatic transmission S plus and received the in dash GPS). Very nifty, hopefully Apple doesn't decide to change up their charging ports in the near future. :p:D
Haha yes I can appreciate that. I used to be the same but now I just use voice navigation and dont bother to look at the map. Regarding the charger, I designed it to integrate with the dock using a separate subassembly. Basically 2 small parts shaped to the profile of the charging pin which then slide into a recess in the dock. Would take about 5 mins to redesign those two parts to suit a different charging pin if needed, no redesign of the dock itself necessary!

On another note, I've had few pm's recently from people interested in getting these printed. What I've suggested is doing a bulk print, and sending out the docks as a kit with all the parts needed for the DIY (USB outlet, USB charging cable, wiring, crimps, fuse etc). If anyone else is interested let me know and I'll add you to the list. Once I have some numbers I'll work out how much the print will cost us. Keep in mind the design is based on the iPhone 5/5s/5c but if enough people are interested in other phone models it wouldn't be too hard to tweak the design.