Key question for a 2008 Corolla

Hi Guys - I'm new to the forum and I have a question about the maximum number of keys that can be programmed.

I just purchased a 2008 Corolla for my daughter and the car came with one factory key from the dealer. So after doing some research I found out I needed a smart key programming tool and Toy44D transponder key. So I hopped on eBay and purchased 2 additional keys with the programmer tool and was able to program & cut 2 additional keys for a total of 3 keys! The very next day one of the new blank toyota keys I just programmed suddenly stopped working. Thinking the key was bad, I ordered another key and programmed and cut that key yesterday (now I have three working keys) and today the OEM key that came with the car stopped working. Now I'm back down to two keys. Is there a limit to the # of keys that can be programmed for a 08 Toyota Corolla? Any ideas? How is that possible? BTW all keys were OEM Toyota blank keys.

Thank you -

Silver Streak

This gen Corolla.. did not come w/ high tech keys.. it just came w/ regular keys.. 2 master keys and 1 valet key plus 2 key fob. This gen Corolla was basically built on 90s Toyota Technology of the MR2/Celica

However, you have the 2008 model.. which was the cross-over year model to the 10th gen. Make sure whom ever is cutting your key knows that...

This gen Corolla.. did not come w/ high tech keys.. it just came w/ regular keys.. 2 master keys and 1 valet key plus 2 key fob. This gen Corolla was basically built on 90s Toyota Technology of the MR2/Celica

However, you have the 2008 model.. which was the cross-over year model to the 10th gen. Make sure whom ever is cutting your key knows that...
Thank you for you reply. Both keys that went bad on me only worked for a day. I tried all programmed\cut keys in the doors, trunk and ignition and they worked at that time. I did read somewhere that toyota only allows 5 keys to be made and the original owner receives 3 (two master keys and one valet key). I plan to try the service dept at the dealership again for some answers. I guess it will be remain a mystery for now.

Thank you for you reply. Both keys that went bad on me only worked for a day. I tried all programmed\cut keys in the doors, trunk and ignition and they worked at that time. I did read somewhere that toyota only allows 5 keys to be made and the original owner receives 3 (two master keys and one valet key). I plan to try the service dept at the dealership again for some answers. I guess it will be remain a mystery for now.
my apologies.. you are correct they stupid Toyota keys do need to be chip and program.. :eek:

I don't know the maximum number of keys, but I have three keys for my car. In my family, there are two cars for three drivers. We also have a Toyota Corolla, but from 2006. We haven't tried to program one more key, but I think it can be the maximum amount. We found a service that deals with any kind of keys. It is named mylocallocksmithtx.com. We gave them the original key, and in just two hours, they gave us the copies of the keys already programmed for our car. Maybe you can go to an official Toyota car repair shop, and they will help you with your question.