My Personal 2015 Corolla experience thread.

About me:
DoB: 04/25/1990
-Degree in History and History Education (certified teacher).
- Employed as a Corporate Representative and Residential Sales Representative for the entire "heel" southwest part of Louisiana for ADT Security Services since 12/22/14.
-own a mobile home in Lake Charles, LA
-married to a teacher

On 1/15/15 my old 1st gen New VolksWagen Beetle that I put every mile of 200000+ on finally bit the dust. Ok just its air conditioner, but I had just started as a Corporate Representative and Residential Sales Representative for ADT Security Services and would need a newer, prettier, car with an AC.

I settled on the 2015 Corolla LE I currently drive and purchased for just under 19000 ttl; no down payment or interest on the financing for 6 years.

I chose the Rolla because I get over 40-50mpg highway and almost 38 average in city, and the car is known for its reliability and longevity. My father owns a 1990 something corolla with over 200000 miles on it and his still runs great.

I use my Rolla to comfortably transport myself the few miles from appointment to appointment everyday, and to my office which is 80 miles from home once a week.

Things I have come to not like:

1. the infotainment center
2. redundancies of controls
3. redundancies of information
4. only 1 power outlet
5. bluetooth is very slow
6. the radio presets interface
7. the annoyingly and apparently mandatory AM stations
8. the automatic climate is very counter intuitive and sometimes dysfunctions
9. a bad rattle in the steering wheel column right under the instrument cluster

Last edited:
Things I have done to my car (AMA):
1. 4500 lumen high beams (the truth is that the stock high beams were weaker than the stock DRLs amirite)

2. interior, trunk, license plate replaced with brighter LEDs

3. 2k lumen switchback amber front turn signals/ white parking lights with load resistor

4. crimson LED 400 lumen side marker lights

5. 1200 lumen reverse lights (I do not recommend the style of these lights)

6. Valentine One radar detector hardwired

7. G1w-c dash cam hardwired to front (already avoided a ticket with this)

8. "Barely legal" window tint on every window

9. 14/14'' filing cabinet for work that is secured in the trunk to make the rolla a mobile office

10. Passenger seat table mount for my iPad air

11. LED backlit 5v dual usb charger for my phone and iPad

Things I plan on doing (help wanted):

1. Any easy Performance upgrades that wont reduce the life of my car such as a re flashing, K&N cold air or ram air, exhaust, ANYTHING to make my car different from the many other Rollas in my city

2. remote start (to run that heater/AC b4 I get in)

3. keyless entry system (I want to lose the key altogether)

4. window guards (so I can leave a little opening in my windows and not worry about rain)

5. Front mudflaps (lots of shitty roads in LA, rocks, mud)

6. license plate cover that blocks camera photos or makes them too hard to see (these are legal in LA, and some places where I drive have the cameras at stop lights.

7. LED rear turn signals (I have not found any that I like yet)

**8. LED break/tail lights. Why can't anyone find 7443?! The LED has to have a "tail light brightness" AND a brighter "break light brightness" but I cannot find a compatible LED bulb.**

Last edited:
I want to make a statement about police in Louisiana. Most of them are corrupt, if not personally, then the precinct and management. I have known some cops personally since middle school as F students and cannot believe the standards of our police force. Most small towns in Louisiana get a LARGE chunk of revenue from over policing and ticketing residents, and visitors. So any fake or hiked charges are commonplace and some people accept it. "If you have an out of state plate, you get a ticket mate!" I have heard one from Kinder, LA say.

I recently had a cop stop me for failure to adhere to a stop sign, when I have it on video via my g1w-c that I stopped for at least 2 seconds. After I informed him our interaction was recorded and so was my all alleged infraction, he let me off with a warning.

Also I visit high crime neighborhoods as an ADT rep all too often to not video my car.

This is the reason for the radar detector and camera.

Thomas

Welcome to the forum!

I think most of us would be interested in hearing about your mods as well as offering advice.

I'm not big into modding, but I am interested in learning about my car which is currently the most expensive thing that I own. The only concern of yours that I can address is the license plate camouflage. I haven't found or heard of any that work. I've seen real-world examples of several kinds (overlays, paints), and all of them are still readable by camera even with flash.

FYI, we don't need to know your birthday, your wife's occupation, what kind of college degree you have, what kind of house you have, etc. It would be wise to leave personal information like that off the Internet.

@Thomas
You know more about how I use my car, and how my wife may use it. You know I am post grad, working, and not in 30s yet. I think it is pertinent info. plus you know someone is bound to ask even though I gave that info.

The license plate concealers definitely work at night. The flash from the cameras cause a glare on the glass and it causes all or most of the plate to be unreadable. They also work at MOST times of sunshiny days, if your plate is facing the sun. I'd rather have it than not, most of the police in Louisiana are big time pigs. Plus it looks kinda cool a little I guess.

@Thomas
You know more about how I use my car, and how my wife may use it. You know I am post grad, working, and not in 30s yet. I think it is pertinent info. plus you know someone is bound to ask even though I gave that info.

The license plate concealers definitely work at night. The flash from the cameras cause a glare on the glass and it causes all or most of the plate to be unreadable. They also work at MOST times of sunshiny days, if your plate is facing the sun. I'd rather have it than not, most of the police in Louisiana are big time pigs. Plus it looks kinda cool a little I guess.
Also becoming more and more of a ticketable offense. I know several states have it written were it falls under the "obstructed plate" category and it's a pretty good fine. Lot easier not to run lights and avoid paying the stupid tax in the first place.

@Thomas I am well versed in both Texas and Louisiana State Law, as well as federal. There are no precedents or references to license plate covers in Louisiana law. If I travel out of state, federal law dictates police from that state honor my home state laws, including my radar detector, camera, window tint, and lack of a front license plate. And if they cant photo my license plate, they cant ticket me using cameras. I am all about the rights son.

@Thomas If I travel out of state, federal law dictates police from that state honor my home state laws, including my radar detector, camera, window tint, and lack of a front license plate. And if they cant photo my license plate, they cant ticket me using cameras. I am all about the rights son.
I would suggest re-reading, certainly not the case for all of those examples. State by state will vary, but there is no"federal exemption"

Read and search the forums, people have already discussed this and that would provide a good starting point for you.
Are those "people" licensed to practice law in the states you're driving?

I admit I haven't explicitly researched the topic you're discussing, but as an attorney who practices criminal law, I think you're reading whatever source you're citing far too broadly. Any 'federal exemption' is likely limited to things you can't control - i.e. if LA doesn't issue front plates, and you're driving through a state that requires a front plate, you won't be prosecuted for that violation. But something like a radar detector or a plate cover can absolutely be enforced upon you, because you can easily take steps to put your vehicle into compliance with state law. By your logic, a Montana resident can drive 90 mph through any state in the union because the speed limit in Montana is 90 in rural areas...

Can we keep this about the cars guys?

I would really like any help on a remote start system that is also keyless entry and/or push to start. Also 7443 led replacements for brake lights are a hot topic in the forums.

Can we keep this about the cars guys?

I would really like any help on a remote start system that is also keyless entry and/or push to start. Also 7443 led replacements for brake lights are a hot topic in the forums.
Check local installers to see what is available, preferences on a website won't matter if you can't get it put in. It's going to be expensive, buckle up.
Go to amazon for bulb reviews, there are a lot out there, make sure they're gonna fit properly, are as bright as stock, and you know how to add resistors.

@Thomas

Considering you think most Louisiana cops are pigs, it makes me think you have something to hide. I agree with below poster in that you should simply stop paying the stupid tax to begin with instead of concealing unsafe driving.

I installed weathertech in channel deflectors on my Corolla. I got them when they first came out (around 1.5 years ago) and I'm assuming they stopped selling the rear deflectors (I didn't see them on the site for a while) for a few months because they didn't fit correctly. (At one point my rear left flew off my window and it was chipped when I got it) I put some double sided tape on all 4 to ensure none would fly off again haha. So they're permanently in there.

Oh and I've seen some people put rally armor mudflaps. To me they look good, some people say they stick out too much. I want the red ones but they're TOO expensive compared to the basic universal black ones. I'm assuming it's the material it's made of that makes the price jump.

PICS:

Last edited:
Concerning the strips: That is one good looking car. I am looking those weather strips up right now.

Concerning flaps: I am actually afraid they will cause too much drag and that's why I haven't gotten them yet. I travel 1/3 on highway at 75mph, 1/3 on dirt roads, and 1/3 in city. But I always have mud streaks on the front sides behind tires, and a few rock dings and scratches already.

Concerning the strips: That is one good looking car. I am looking those weather strips up right now.

Concerning flaps: I am actually afraid they will cause too much drag and that's why I haven't gotten them yet. I travel 1/3 on highway at 75mph, 1/3 on dirt roads, and 1/3 in city. But I always have mud streaks on the front sides behind tires, and a few rock dings and scratches already.
Do you have the OEM mudguards? If not, maybe you should go with those. I see the price for them ranging from $20 up to $65 for actual OEM ones.

Oh and how is the G1 dash cam? I was using a mobius action cam as a dash cam but the lack of screen and the fact that the heat made the battery expand (got lazy to remove the cam from the mount) has me looking for another dash cam.