Oil Pan Drain Plug Washer

Hola and Happy 2021 Folks!

Can I borrow your eyes and thoughts on whether or not the following pics show the oil pan drain plug washer as being stuck to the drain pan?

I've started to change (2nd time) out my own engine oil and wanted to replace the washer. When removing the drain plug, I did not see a washer come off with the plug. I'm certain the washer did not fall into the oil catch pan (I checked for it). There are no leaks after replacing the plug without adding another washer. I suspect the washer is simply stuck on the drain pan.

But before I go banging it off, do you guys think this is the case? I could not remove this ring with my fingers.

Side note: If it's not leaking, maybe i shouldn't bother trying to bang or pry it off in order to replace it? What do you guys think?

Thanks in Advance! befac160-600c-43e8-b365-4e13dc669ece.jpg df677e2c-6241-4ba4-abc9-227ca0d1a12a.jpg

-Br.

ToyBoy

1612912084231.png I have a Fumoto Valve on my car . They work great and hold up well.Only issue is they are slow to drain. Your car looks to have the drain washer sticking on there . If so they usually come off pretty easy .

View attachment 4872 I have a Fumoto Valve on my car . They work great and hold up well.Only issue is they are slow to drain. Your car looks to have the drain washer sticking on there . If so they usually come off pretty easy .
Thanks for the followup ToyBoy. As others have suggested, ill carefully chisel if off, careful not the scratch the drain pan itself. I was unable to pry it off with my fingers.

I've read about the Fumoto...some unlucky people have had their petcock valve turned open or half the valve get torn right off...rare to be fair but I dont yet feel it's a hassle unscrewing the drain plug each time. How long have you had to Fumoto valve on your car?

-Br.

honestly speaking, I have never replaced my crush washer. I have not had any issue at all with it. Oil has never leak out of the drain plug. I don't drive my car hard so I don't put a lot of stress on it. For some reason the more I read about it the more I am considering getting a new washer, but with my past experience I think why bother. I don't think that is the washer though, you should be able to peel it off with your fingers, I am do to change my oil this weekend and can compare to mine and let you know.

honestly speaking, I have never replaced my crush washer. I have not had any issue at all with it. Oil has never leak out of the drain plug. I don't drive my car hard so I don't put a lot of stress on it. For some reason the more I read about it the more I am considering getting a new washer, but with my past experience I think why bother. I don't think that is the washer though, you should be able to peel it off with your fingers, I am do to change my oil this weekend and can compare to mine and let you know.
Yes, please let me know your finds, echarleswhyte! If that is not the washer, then the dealership has not been putting on a washer when they change out my oil :mad:.

I'm also considering why mess with it if i've never had any oil dripping (as far as i know). But i do have washers so ....

Either way, thanks for comparing yours with mine this weekend.

-Br.

Yes, please let me know your finds, echarleswhyte! If that is not the washer, then the dealership has not been putting on a washer when they change out my oil :mad:.

I'm also considering why mess with it if i've never had any oil dripping (as far as i know). But i do have washers so ....

Either way, thanks for comparing yours with mine this weekend.

-Br.
I will post pictures when I do mine. To be honest I would not 'chisel' anything to do with the oil pan, to me that is a recipe for disaster.

no pictures, mine pan is the same as yours and I am 100% sure this is not the washer but there to provide a smooth surface to seal on. Once again I did not use a crush washer, honestly, I meant to buy one but we got a dump of snow and I have not left the house. I am sure I will have no issues with any leaks, just I have never had an issue in the pat.

no pictures, mine pan is the same as yours and I am 100% sure this is not the washer but there to provide a smooth surface to seal on. Once again I did not use a crush washer, honestly, I meant to buy one but we got a dump of snow and I have not left the house. I am sure I will have no issues with any leaks, just I have never had an issue in the pat.
If that is truly not a washer, so we are supposed to add a washer in addition to this? I'm concerned about doubling up on washers, leading to a leak. It's not leaking now, without adding a crush washer.
I'm thinking of asking the Parts guy at the dealership when i go get more filters for my next oil change.

Sorry bout the snow. It got down to 50 degrees in SoCal ...it was "freezing" :)

-Br.

Hello y’all. Just a brief clarification. It is not a crutch washer. It is there to prevent the drain plug and oil pan to contact metal on metal. When they get stuck as pictured, I just pry it very gently with a flathead screwdriver. Sometimes I give it a tap to the screwdriver handle to make ‘em come off when they are stubborn. Replace them often and never use more than one.

Hello y’all. Just a brief clarification. It is not a crutch washer. It is there to prevent the drain plug and oil pan to contact metal on metal. When they get stuck as pictured, I just pry it very gently with a flathead screwdriver. Sometimes I give it a tap to the screwdriver handle to make ‘em come off when they are stubborn. Replace them often and never use more than one.
Thanks! This is indeed a washer (not the crush kind). I was able to remove using a flathead screwdriver with some tape wrapped around the flat head. I did end up asking the Parts Guy at the dealership for some more washers while i was getting the OEM filter. The guy threw in some for free. Now, they are running about 50 cents a piece at my local dealership.

-Br.

Last edited: