Rear Brakes Wearing Out Faster Than Fronts?

I saw on the service records of my Corolla that the front brake pads were 8mm thick, but the rear were 4mm. Purchased the car used. Looking over the records I didn't see any new brake pad purchases. The car has only 13,xxx miles on it. Is it possible that the prior owner replaced the fronts without the rears? But only 13,000 miles? Appreciate any insight.

Typically front brake pads are thicker than rear brake pads/shoes because the front brakes take a lot more load than the rear and as a result wear much faster then the rear.

My Mom has a 2011 Corolla with a whopping 5k miles on it. The local dealer has told her the rear brakes are down to 4 percent. No mention about the condition of the fronts. The explanation to her was it was likely due to her driving style. I don't buy it at all, and it sounds like another kiss off from the dealership. Any insight or explanantion would be appreciated, thanks!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
are your corolla all disk, or disk and drum???

not all corolla's are disk and drum.

lets talk about all disk. no question about it they are ALL the same. weight to the front wears faster.

lets talk about drums they are hidden and wear differently, due to the E-brake assigned to the drums pad not pads.

It is possible to wear them out and reason the person could not change it ws due to the 8M-1.25 sized bolts going into the drums to spread off. they are not going to slide off by hand.

change out drums are fun, disks are to easy to talk about

you mentioned you purchased the veh used. Possible the front pads could have been replaced leaving the rears alone. now sometime later the rears need replacing while the fronts have life left.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
the rears will last longer than the fronts and when fronts change the rears should get looked at, the 2nd change they normally get changed

rear brakes

So now Mom tells me the dealer factory trained mechanic made a mistake. She still has plenty of brakes left on the rears. Thanks for the replys.