Steering Drifts in Windy Conditions

My S tracks straight under normal conditions up to 65mph but on windy days it wants to go everywhere. Its a bit of a struggle to keep it straight. anyone else have this problem? Would a strut bar possibly fix it?

Wandering at highway speeds is many times due to an out of alignment condition, specifically the caster angle. However, I don't think the Corolla has adjustments for this alignment angle. Ask a competent alignment shop if the caster on your Corolla can be adjusted.

they are the stock goodyears, the dealer I bought the car from put them on before I bought them, so they are brand new. Haven't checked the pressure.

The stock Eagle SL. The vehicle steers perfectly straight up to 75 mph. Its only in windy conditions that the steering problem surfaces.

My '09 S does, too. It's just physics: Force of air meets obstruction = whacky steering. Has been this way with every car or truck I've ever driven. If your 'Rolla tracks well in normal conditions, you're good.

My S tracks straight under normal conditions up to 65mph but on windy days it wants to go everywhere. Its a bit of a struggle to keep it straight. anyone else have this problem? Would a strut bar possibly fix it?
I had the same problem about drifting from day 1. It's not THAT bad, but definitely noticeable, and as yours, my car drives straight and true otherwise. All these comments about tires and alignment are off the mark. They're not seeing the question!!!

I suppose I'll just live with it, as you probably will. This topic has come up before many times on other forums as well, and the usual reply is -- that's just the way it is! And again, it's not THAT bad.

I had the same problem about drifting from day 1. It's not THAT bad, but definitely noticeable, and as yours, my car drives straight and true otherwise. All these comments about tires and alignment are off the mark. They're not seeing the question!!!

I suppose I'll just live with it, as you probably will. This topic has come up before many times on other forums as well, and the usual reply is -- that's just the way it is! And again, it's not THAT bad.
I agree but was just wondering if adding the strut brace would help?

From what I know about steering fixtures, I doubt that a brace would fix that "loose steering" situation. I believe those are two, not-directly-related, mechanisms. But others may disagree. Hope they chime in.

You are correct. They aren't related. The strut-bar is to reduce body flex during hard cornering and would have no affect on the situation you have.

Last edited:
I agree, I've driven lightweight cars and none have been so finicky in even subtle wind. So far my only real big complaint on 12 Corolla S... ok maybe the mismatched dials and center console lights too...

You don't mention how long you have had the car.The electric steering does take some getting used to.You are likely over compensating . When i go from my old chev truck to wifey's corolla ,it is very easy to do this thus putting the car all over the lane

I've had my 2011 Corolla since early January this year, and my only complaint is how it handles when it's windy. It's all over the lane, and I find it very annoying. I've never driven a car that's been this bad in these conditions. My wife's 2011 Camry is the complete opposite. I'm starting to think I got the wrong car!

I've had my 2011 Corolla since early January this year, and my only complaint is how it handles when it's windy. It's all over the lane, and I find it very annoying. I've never driven a car that's been this bad in these conditions. My wife's 2011 Camry is the complete opposite. I'm starting to think I got the wrong car!
Nope, you got the right car -- most/all 2011 Corollas dance around in the wind. Mine does, everyones' does, though there are those who will deny it.

There is a TSB on the steering issue, although your '11 model should've received that update.

If your steering checks out, then I suggest the shape of the car is the culprit. My '09 is the first car I've had that is nearly impossible for me to back into a parking space. The thing is so weirdly shaped -- from a driver's perspective -- that maneuvering it backwards is a chore.

So, it's shape my work well slicing through the wind straight on, but simply doesn't handle winds hitting it from the side very well.

Car is going in for the 5000 miles check-up tomorrow, and the issues I have with it being all over the place with a little bit of wind is being addressed. I'm looking forward to see and hear what, if anything, they can do to help.