Tires for LIFE

Corolla Cop

2014 Corolla S Plus
I got my first set of free tires, Goodyears, a couple weeks ago. My first set lasted 61,000 miles. I am at 66,000 miles now on my 2014. Free tires as long as I own the car.

DTG

My dealer offers free tires for life as long as I keep up the maint. Just put my first set on at 61,000 miles.
Wow. That's an amazing deal unless you basically paid for it in the purchase price. I assume the dealer figures that most people dump their cars after 100k miles or so, so that it's only 1 change-over, or that many people forget about the deal when they need to change tires a few years down the road. From what I've seen so far, Corollas' are pretty kind on tires and 50k or so is the changing point. I suspect that you're the exception on cashing in on that deal.

My Sienna dealer (I got a Corolla and Sienna w/in 1 year of each other at different dealers) has a similar (but less $$) deal on "batteries for life". They're going to hate me when I walk in a year from now waving my receipt around.

My father in law got suckered into an "add-on" with his new car that promised free tires for life as well. First set lasted 60K. They were replaced by the cheapest off brand tires that rode like bricks and had no traction unless you were driving on 90* sunny days on blacktop. It was written in the contract that it's the dealers choice on tires, so I can't lay blame on just one side. He ended up replacing them after 5k miles with real rubber.

Thomas

My father in law got suckered into an "add-on" with his new car that promised free tires for life as well. First set lasted 60K. They were replaced by the cheapest off brand tires that rode like bricks and had no traction unless you were driving on 90* sunny days on blacktop. It was written in the contract that it's the dealers choice on tires, so I can't lay blame on just one side. He ended up replacing them after 5k miles with real rubber.
Just keep going in every other day with a new nail or something in the tires and say you need a new pair. Hint to them that these cheap brands pick nails up like crazy, and that he doesn't think that the nicer brand picks up nails as much. If they're going to screw you, you have to screw them right back.

Just keep going in every other day with a new nail or something in the tires and say you need a new pair. Hint to them that these cheap brands pick nails up like crazy, and that he doesn't think that the nicer brand picks up nails as much. If they're going to screw you, you have to screw them right back.
That would be fraud.

Okay, not everyday, make sure there is a construction zone on your route, don't use the same type of nail or debris, and invite them to call the cops if they acuse you of fraud. Settle for a pair of top-of-the-line tires in exchange for you tearing up the contract. I agree following my first post verbatim would be stupid. I don't see any problem with trying to get the perceived value when you're roped into a sucker's deal. Obviously never fall for such a "deal" in the first place

Okay, not everyday, make sure there is a construction zone on your route, don't use the same type of nail or debris, and invite them to call the cops if they acuse you of fraud. Settle for a pair of top-of-the-line tires in exchange for you tearing up the contract. I agree following my first post verbatim would be stupid. I don't see any problem with trying to get the perceived value when you're roped into a sucker's deal. Obviously never fall for such a "deal" in the first place
I don't think vendors are dumb enough to not foresight this in the contract !
Chances are those programs cover normal use replacement, not road hazard (a different kind of insurance, or so called "warranty", applies, generally at cost).
And at the vendors conditions like type of tire and usually the obligation to pay for useless balancing and alignment annually or semi-annually and have other regular maintenance done at their workshop.
It's another form of "loyalty" program for which cost and benefits are carefully calculated.
In any event, cops would probably just say it's a civil matter and then, welcome court costs !

That would still be fraud. Being in a contract that is perceived as being unfair can be frustrating, but resorting to these types of measures would be a reflection on you as a person. Bottom line is read every contract. I recently got a nail in my tire and the road hazard warranty company insisted that they replace the tire with the same factory OEM tire. I insisted that they just pay for the repair instead of replacing it.

Thomas

That would still be fraud. Being in a contract that is perceived as being unfair can be frustrating, but resorting to these types of measures would be a reflection on you as a person. Bottom line is read every contract. I recently got a nail in my tire and the road hazard warranty company insisted that they replace the tire with the same factory OEM tire. I insisted that they just pay for the repair instead of replacing it.
I agree about reading contracts and avoiding such situations to begin with. However not everyone has that kind of foresight or sense.

I understand where you're coming from, and that's admirable. I've learned from experience: when you're dealt a bad hand, that it doesn't mean you have to stay down and take each blow as it comes. I certainly don't advocate stealing cards out of another player's hand, but like bluffing, you have to be able to navigate yourself out of a sucky situation unless you want to be taken advantage of. If you think life is black and white, you're not seeing the big picture.

No, it really is about right and wrong. If you allowed yourself to be dealt a bad hand, then you man up, hold yourself accountable, and learn from it. Too many people get suckered in to these bad contracts and insurance plans for XYZ system from the dealer because they do not ask probing questions about the terms of the contracts. Before I bought the road hazard warranty 6 years(100k) miles for $280, you can bet the finance guy got drilled with him showing me the various terms of the contract. If you allowed yourself to get taken advantage of, it does not give you the moral imperative to do something fraudulent to try to get even. You are simply being handed the terms of the contract that you signed on with.

What you can do is utilize proper channels to ethically get the problem resolved. If they wish to replace the tyre with a POS Chinese offbrand, then it is up to you to explain the liability that is involved with replacing just a single tire. Not replacing tires in pairs unless it is the same type can be extremely dangerous as it can result in your car pulling unexpectedly to a side, especially if you are driving in low friction conditions or you aquaplane across a puddle.

Thomas

If they wish to replace the tyre with a POS Chinese offbrand, then it is up to you to explain the liability that is involved with replacing just a single tire. Not replacing tires in pairs unless it is the same type can be extremely dangerous as it can result in your car pulling unexpectedly to a side, especially if you are driving in low friction conditions or you aquaplane across a puddle.
A solution! You could have posted that earlier rather than turn this into a philosophical debate. My original post was a solution (although not an ethical solution as you've mentioned). This is a car site, not a philosophy site. I have some rebuttals to your last post, but I'll stop here.

There is no "solution" nor "philosophical" consideration around a contract. You get what's in it period. It it's fuzzy (generally on purpose from the vendor) and you signed it anyway hoping for the best then it's a civil matter for courts.

Exactly. There is nothing philosophical about contracts, and many are pretty air tight from a legal standpoint just to make sure there are no loopholes. The only thing philosophical are contracts that are deemed unconscionable by a court. An example of such a contract might be if someone promised to give someone a kidney in exchange for an Iphone. Should the kid who signed the contract take it to court, the contract would be made null and void.