TPMS Trouble

Hi I hope I'm not double posting or anything but I have a set of aftermarket rims and bought a universal strap kit to mount my oe sensors in but my TPMS light is still on and Toyota said since the sensors aren't in the factory rims they'll charge $90 just to check it and I hate to see how much they'll charge to actually do it. I went by Black's Tire today and they said I need to have them reprogrammed and talking to a few companies online and they said I need a relearn or reflash anyone know any other way to make the car recognize the sensors in my rims? I can't afford the $90 for the diagnostic from the dealership or the labor. Any help and or advice is greatly appreciated

You took the old sensors from the OEM wheels and put them in the aftermarket wheels? If that is the case, set inflation to your preference, then open the glove box, and on the left, you'll see the TPMS button.

Turn to ignition on (DO NO START THE CAR) and hold the TPMS button until it blinks three times. Wait a couple minutes with the ignition still on, and it should turn off.

If it doesn't, then the sensors were installed improperly.

You took the old sensors from the OEM wheels and put them in the aftermarket wheels? If that is the case, set inflation to your preference, then open the glove box, and on the left, you'll see the TPMS button.

Turn to ignition on (DO NO START THE CAR) and hold the TPMS button until it blinks three times. Wait a couple minutes with the ignition still on, and it should turn off.

If it doesn't, then the sensors were installed improperly.
Only thing is the light blinks for a minute them stays on do I wait until it stops blinking then try to reset it?

Wait until it stops blinking and then try it ... but the fact that the light blinks for a minute and then stays on isn't good. Were you gentle on the sensors when mounting them? They may be damaged.

Wait until it stops blinking and then try it ... but the fact that the light blinks for a minute and then stays on isn't good. Were you gentle on the sensors when mounting them? They may be damaged.
I had a shop do it for me they had a time getting the straps on because they were made for 15-26" wheels so I don't know I hope they didn't damage them then I'll have to buy new sensors and have them programmed.

If they did damage them, then you gotta have the shop replace them. I would take it to them and show them that the TPMS sensors are failing and get them to fix it.

Most shops here say there not responsible if they break and or don't work. I've had other people say they might need to be relearend since there not in the same position as the factory sensors.

I've rotated tires and never had a problem with the TPMS system.

The TPMS button sets the current pressure to the PCM. The programmer puts the TPMS transponder codes into the PCM if the sensors are changed. The TPMS sensors are coded so that interference or signals from non-matching TPMS sensors are not used. Once the PCM has the 4 codes, it only listens to sensors that give those codes.

When the light blinks for a minute, it is because a sensor is damaged or giving an invalid code. This can also happen if the battery dies, but the car is too new for that (and those batteries typically go years).

My advice? Try talking to the shop manager. If they own up to it and fix it, it cost you nothing. If they deny everything, I'd inform them that you will give them bad reviews on Yelp and any other forums related to cars, and then find a place that will guarantee their work.

Using the TPMS button and/or programming the PCM to learn the transponder codes may help ... maybe ... but I'm thinking no since they worked before, and are now giving problems after installation.

I've rotated tires and never had a problem with the TPMS system.

The TPMS button sets the current pressure to the PCM. The programmer puts the TPMS transponder codes into the PCM if the sensors are changed. The TPMS sensors are coded so that interference or signals from non-matching TPMS sensors are not used. Once the PCM has the 4 codes, it only listens to sensors that give those codes.

When the light blinks for a minute, it is because a sensor is damaged or giving an invalid code. This can also happen if the battery dies, but the car is too new for that (and those batteries typically go years).

My advice? Try talking to the shop manager. If they own up to it and fix it, it cost you nothing. If they deny everything, I'd inform them that you will give them bad reviews on Yelp and any other forums related to cars, and then find a place that will guarantee their work.

Using the TPMS button and/or programming the PCM to learn the transponder codes may help ... maybe ... but I'm thinking no since they worked before, and are now giving problems after installation.
Would them being mounted in a strap around the rims affect the signal? Also does it have to be pointed a certain way and or placed in a certain place?

That button only sets pressure; it won't re-learn (or store) codes from the TPMS sensors. I'm wondering if he tried it anyway to see if it would work.

When the Low Tire Pressure light blinks for a minute and then stays on, it is typically from a faulty TPMS sensor or a sensor with a bad code.

Interesting - page 450 of the manual.

So from what I can tell, it sets the relative pressure.

i.e. the light doesn't come on below 25 psi like most cars ...

If I set the cold tire pressure to 32 psi, the light comes on 5 or 8 or some number below that and if I set the cold tire pressure 5 psi higher, the trigger point goes up 5 psi also.

Interesting setup, but a bit complicated also.

I'm hoping since there not installed in the same place as the factory sensors were installed on the factory wheels is all it is and the sensors need to relearn where they are now.

I found yesterday in my 2014 open the glove box and look to the left where the hinge is there is a reset for your tpms right there hope I didn't repeat what someone else said

My TPMS has been problematic since the second day I had the car. Tire pressures are set properly, including the spare. Warning light came on. Check pressures (cold) and they're still correct. Did the reset procedure and the light blinks for a minute, then stays on solid. Took it to the dealer and the tech tried to turn the light off. No luck. Two days later the light goes off on its own and stays off for about a month. Try the reset procedure again, and the light stays on. Talk to the dealer again and the tech says they'll look at it when I bring the car in for its first oil change. They need to have it for at least three hours to properly re-inflate the tires. Well, it's finally time for my first oil change this week. I'll report their findings.

Mike

Inflating the tires and then letting them cool down so they are setting the proper cold pressure.

electromet, sounds like you may have a defective TPMS sensor. I haven't had problems with mine.

One thing ... are you setting the pressure with the engine running? The engine should be off and the car as still as possible for two minutes while pressure is saved.

No. I've been checking in the morning with the tires cold and the engine off. The tech said something about the computer going into a looping cycle. We'll see this week.

Mike

did you look in your glove box to the left on the outside by the hinge is the reset button
I have the 2014 Toyota corolla cvt s premium and I found mine there

Inflating the tires and then letting them cool down so they are setting the proper cold pressure.

electromet, sounds like you may have a defective TPMS sensor. I haven't had problems with mine.

One thing ... are you setting the pressure with the engine running? The engine should be off and the car as still as possible for two minutes while pressure is saved.
Ah. I guess with those systems it makes sense to let them sit to get a proper reading. The stuff I work on doesn't have tpms haha.

Yes, I did find the reset button and did press it as specified in the manual. The tech that assisted me also used the reset button as per the manual. Same lack of results.

Mike

I'm starting to wonder if other's are going to have issues with the tpms sensors as well mine started after switching them into different wheels his is in the factory wheels I'm sure there's other besides him and I who's having tpms sensor issues. Seems like there might be a tpms issue arising.

Well the guy from Schrader valves fixed the tpms sensors issue didn't take 10 minutes had to re-initialize them I've been doing research since I got the sensors installed I think they went into sleep mode and he had to re-initialized them. So if anyone has the issue you all you have to do is get them re-initialized.

Well, the car spent ALL day in the service department today. The good news is that all of the TPMS sensors are good and all of the tire pressures were correct. The bad news is that the TPMS computer threw a bunch of codes when they plugged their diagnostic equipment in. The short explanation is that there is an intermittent "open" in the system. The tech's recommendation is that they R&R the entire TPMS system. They want me to bring it back for the day on Monday so they can do some additional troubleshooting and consult with a TPMS guru at the corporate level before they take the leap. At least the light is off for now.

I also had them change the lane-change signals. I was a little worried when the service writer said he'd never heard of that before, but it came back with 5 flashes.:yes:

Mike

The parts were ordered and the wrong parts showed up. Correct parts are on back-order. Rather than re-assembling the car and then tearing it apart again, they gave us a new Rav4 to drive. Parts may be coming in today but there's no guarantee. I do miss the ride of the S. My concern is that with the parts being on back-order, is this becoming a widespread problem?

Mike

Just got my car back from the dealership and all is well. When they replaced the TPMS receiver, the original problem continued. Somehow the tech figured out the TPMS worked fine when the right rear door was open, but didn't when the door was closed. Further investigation revealed that the contractor who installed the Karr alarm system tapped one of the TPMS leads for power. Every time the alarm status changed (door open, closed, locked, etc.) the ground went away and the receiver shut off. They had the alarm company come and repair their damage, and everything works fine.

Mike

Just got my car back from the dealership and all is well. When they replaced the TPMS receiver, the original problem continued. Somehow the tech figured out the TPMS worked fine when the right rear door was open, but didn't when the door was closed. Further investigation revealed that the contractor who installed the Karr alarm system tapped one of the TPMS leads for power. Every time the alarm status changed (door open, closed, locked, etc.) the ground went away and the receiver shut off. They had the alarm company come and repair their damage, and everything works fine.

Mike
Glad to hear it I know you're happy to say the least I know I sure was:yes::D:laughing: