1990 Corolla - I Just Bought An $800 Death Trap and It's Going to Cost $800 to Fix It

so, I bought THIS 1990 COROLLA and the seller lost the power steering fluid cap and stuffed a rag in it... Didn't notice anything wrong when test driving, but on the way home when I got up to 60MPH, I would turn the wheel but the car wouldn't turn... It was terrifying. I almost died twice. :eek:

Took it to a mechanic, he drove it and looked under the hood and said because of not having that cap, power steering fluid probably leaked out onto the Rack and Pinion and my bushings are bad. His estimate is $730.

So now I'm in a catch 22 where I can't drive to work to make the money I need to pay that bill. Even if I bought used parts on eBay and had an amateur mechanic install them, I still won't have wheels for 5-10 days. This is what my brain is telling me to do:

1. Go get a power steering fluid cap.
  2. Drain and replace power steering fluid.
  3. Hose down the rack and pinion assembly with water.
  4. Purchase used rack and pinion on eBay.
  5. Attempt to install or find amateur mechanic.

So we went from bad bushings to replace all this stuff. I don't think the mechanic is trying to hustle me, he just wants to do it correctly. But I don't have that money and I need to make this car drivable immediately. If anyone has any ideas or advise I sure would appreciate it.​

Fill up the power steering (turn wheel lock to lock while filling, you will want a friend for this), and install the cap.

DO NOT OVERFILL THE SYSTEM!

Then save up and get a new or rebuilt rack and pinion. It isn't worth buying a used one, considering the labor associated with removing the old one is high.

The new one will come with new bushings.

I found an empty bottle of Dexron Vi in the trunk and from what I've read, it's not a suitable replacement for power steering fluid in these Corollas. Could that have caused all this?

My Online Product Application Guide shows that Dexron automatic transmission fluid is the correct fluid for the power steering pump.

If the previous owner drove the vehicle with no power steering fluid cap and the fluid was splashed out and run low, this could cause damage to the rack and pinion unit. The vehicle is described as, "rides and drives great". You've been defrauded, which is a crime. As long as you didn't sign a receipt stating you purchased the vehicle, "as is", and with no warranty, you may have the ability to force the seller to take the car back and provide you a 100% refund. Check with your area's Attorney Generals Office.

You can get a used power steering pump cap from a automotive junkyard in your area for probably a couple of dollars or less. Here is a link to a nationwide database of automotive junkyards so you can locate a few in your area -

http://www.Car-Part.com

As for the estimate you were provided, if I was in your shoes I wouldn't be spending that kind of money on a, "probably".

If you have a Firestone auto center in your area, they have a Firestone credit card you can get that provides six months interest free financing so you can budget out a car repair for six months interest free.

Here is their store locator -

http://www.firestonecompleteautocar...129&keyword=&gclid=CMbU3fOPycECFc1AMgodJhEALQ

"1990 Toyota corolla rides and drives great. Title in hand. 1000 o.b.o."

Another Craigslist rip off.

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
My advice; Fill and bleed the P/S system as DK described above, put a cap on it (O'Reilly and Autozone sometimes have generic ones which will fit). Clean-up as much of the old P/S fluid as you can (to see if it's leaking or not) and then drive it. Chances are pretty good this isn't the car you'll be leaving to your Grandchildren anyway :laughing:

Oh, and I'd look around (or have a mechanic take a look) for any other items which may have been 'repaired' with a rag or a strip of Duct tape.

All that having been said it doesn't look too bad for $900 :yes:

Kevin

Monaco - It's now four days later. How are you making out with this problem?
Well, I'm taking it to my mechanic friend tomorrow, but the power steering flush didn't help much. I tried cleaning the rack and pinion off from the wheel wells, but it didn't help much.
I'm not going to try and return a car I bought from a private seller on account of my own ignorance.

Fraud plays on people's ignorance. Fraud has been committed and that is a crime.

Don't stand for allowing yourself to be ripped off!

Call your local Attorney General's Office and file a complaint. They will help you.