1993 Corolla - Drive belt change

One or more of my drive belts squeals loudly after I start my '93 Corolla as the power steering kicks in when I turn the wheel. The noise goes away after running a while but now it takes longer and longer before the squeals go away. Time to change the belts, eh?

Just to stop the squealing I'm thinking of replacing just 2 belts for now, the power steering and alternator belts.

I've done work on my '93 Corolla like replacing the starter, replacing struts along with the usual "easy" stuff but I've never changed the drive belts. I have the Haynes manual. It says to loosen a bunch of bolts but doesn't show where all the bolts are. So far, I've only found the pivot bolt on the alternator and a bolt on the power steering that slides in a groove.

Do I have to jack up the car and unbolt things from underneath? Is it difficult to get to some of the bolts, e.g. would it entail lying on my back with poor leverage and contorting for a long time? (That was my starter motor experience. ;))

I used to have a garage but now I live at an apartment complex where my neighbors get to see me work in the open like an idiot. I need to save money but if replacement is a lengthy struggle I may have to go to a dealer that can fix while I wait.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I find that on FWD cars, going underneath is pretty much required (for pulling the belt out and putting the new one in, but it all depends). Just take your time, make sure you are taking out the correct bolts, and if working from above proves to be a pain in the ass, go from underneath and see if it is easier to do.

Also, check your tensioners (if you have them). At that age they might be worn out ... but if the belt is adjusted manuallly, adjust it to the point where the longest run has 3/8" deflection at the most. Any tighter than that, and you'll stretch out the belt and trash bearings.