1993 Corolla - Speedometer Failed

I have a 1993 Corolla DX, 164,447miles. My speedometer went out recently. I was driving, not paying attention to it, then looked down and the speedometer was stuck at 0mph. It's never done this before or given any warning. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I was thinking the cable/teeth needed to be tightened or the speedometer just needs to be replaced. Thanks

nmead

just an update, sometimes the speedometer works fine, other times not at all. sometimes it'll kick back on once i hit the interstate but once i get off the interstate it doesn't slowly drop, it immediately drops down to 0mph as i'm slowing down. i was wondering if there was another post like this or if anyone had any input. in my corolla i'm pretty sure they still had the gears/teeth instead of all digital. if anyone has any help with how to go about trying to tighten them or replace the speed sensor that would be greatly appreciated. thanks

The main Integrated Chip on the speedometers circuit board has gone bad.This causes erratic or no operation of the speedometer/odometer

It's VERY common for that year range, you'll have to replace it.

New, they're a little over $200--- https://parts.olathetoyota.com/1993toyotacorollaparts.html

I would be really worried about getting a ticket. My mom's speedo went out (she claims for the first time) and she got pulled over for speeding, told the cop her speedo was out and her gave her a ticket for having improper equipment (if I knew how there'd be a laughing smiley face right here but I don't see them anywhere...)

The main Integrated Chip on the speedometers circuit board has gone bad.This causes erratic or no operation of the speedometer/odometer

It's VERY common for that year range, you'll have to replace it.

New, they're a little over $200--- https://parts.olathetoyota.com/1993toyotacorollaparts.html

I would be really worried about getting a ticket. My mom's speedo went out (she claims for the first time) and she got pulled over for speeding, told the cop her speedo was out and her gave her a ticket for having improper equipment (if I knew how there'd be a laughing smiley face right here but I don't see them anywhere...)
Thanks for the info. I figured it was that or the cable from what I could find online. Probably would just be best to get a new one. A used one from a junkyard might be taking a chance. Thanks for the link too. And yeah.... been trying to go with traffic or use another car to pace
myself. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. I figured it was that or the cable from what I could find online. Probably would just be best to get a new one. A used one from a junkyard might be taking a chance. Thanks for the link too. And yeah.... been trying to go with traffic or use another car to pace
myself. Thanks again.
No problem bud! Did you get it squared away?