1993 Corolla - Won't Fire

My 93 Corolla 1.6 has died. When it was running, you couldn't stomp on it at a green light - it would stumble and choke. If you let off the gas and slowly got into it, it would take off normally but slow. 1st gear to 2nd was a normal shift, but 3rd would hit too soon lugging the engine. I resorted to shifting into 2nd and keeping it there longer and then manually shifting to 3rd. If you were already going 30 mph, and stomped on it, it would downshift to 2nd and take off like it should. A couple weeks ago it started to stumble at idle at red lights, did this all afternoon until finally trying to get into traffic from take off kept stumbling, choking, missing, you name it, for two blocks then died. Have not been able to start it since.

Plugs are good, definitely getting fuel to injectors, have reduced it to no spark. Under the cap there is a small metal contact that is sparking when engine is turned over, but spark doesn't seem to be getting to the plugs, cap looks great, so does rotor. Wires look good too.

Help!!!!

My 93 Corolla 1.6 has died. When it was running, you couldn't stomp on it at a green light - it would stumble and choke. If you let off the gas and slowly got into it, it would take off normally but slow. 1st gear to 2nd was a normal shift, but 3rd would hit too soon lugging the engine. I resorted to shifting into 2nd and keeping it there longer and then manually shifting to 3rd. If you were already going 30 mph, and stomped on it, it would downshift to 2nd and take off like it should. A couple weeks ago it started to stumble at idle at red led lights, did this all afternoon until finally trying to get into traffic from take off kept stumbling, choking, missing, you name it, for two blocks then died. Have not been able to start it since.

Plugs are good, definitely getting fuel to injectors, have reduced it to no spark. Under the cap there is a small metal contact that is sparking when engine is turned over, but spark doesn't seem to be getting to the plugs, cap looks great, so does rotor. Wires look good too.

Help!!!!
It seems like big problem.. You need to ask good mechanic to check it..

Last edited: