1993 Prizm - Rebuild or Swap?

My friend has a 93 prizm with 1.6 5speed. It needs rebuilt thought low power and smoking a lot. He is interested in doing an engine swap too (1.8 or ???). Im going to be doing the work and was looking for answers. What better place than the corolla community itself. We are curious which engines will bolt in or with minor mods. With future possibility of turbocharging.

- Thanks, jared

Was the car available new with a larger engine?

If so; that would be the engine I would source and install. That way you know ahead of time that it will fit the car - and any alternate parts can be had as a stock item rather than requiring custom fabrication.

I personally would install a nice used 1.6 engine - but I am no longer a young lad. <g> Nonetheless I do well remember the urges to install larger engines. <g>

The easiest would be to install a larger engine which already fits right in. But an alternative suggestion would be to rebuild the existing 1.6 - but while adding some heavier duty hotrod parts. Higher performance cams, a flowed/ported head, etc.

Just a thought.

Also: you may want to check the cylinder compression and the oil pressure. Maybe the deep internals are fine and a new head / valve job with new valve stems seals would resolve the low power and smoking issues with minimal time, effort, and expense?

PHM
---------

My friend has a 93 prizm with 1.6 5speed. It needs rebuilt thought low power and smoking a lot. He is interested in doing an engine swap too (1.8 or ???). Im going to be doing the work and was looking for answers. What better place than the corolla community itself. We are curious which engines will bolt in or with minor mods. With future possibility of turbocharging.

- Thanks, jared

Motor swap

Yes you can put a 1.8 as long it is the same year engine and if you want more power put a JDM motor with the turbo and you will not be disappointed,and when you get parts its all toyota corolla. the only thing in that car is the chevy emblem trust me on that=

- Thanks, jared

Last edited:
I wonder if a 2.7 engine can be made to fit ?

I have a Tacoma with a 2.7 liter engine and it is surprisingly powerful for a four cylinder. Maybe wedging one of those with five speed trans into your needs-an-engine car would be a cool upgrade.

That would add about 60% more engine capacity. <g>