1994 Problems

Ok here we go first I tried to be nice and cleanup the motor so I purple stuffed it then hosed it off that started the problems it runs fine for about 3 miles then the speedometer starts jumping around and the car surges.I changed ecm,speed sensors ,coil and nock sensor.any body have any ideas on what's the next part I put on it

Step # 1 - STOP.

Step # 2 - Don't replace any further parts and keep the staff at discount auto parts stores smiling when they see you coming!

Step # 3 - Diagnose the problem and if you aren't experienced enough to do this, pay a professional automotive technician to do it for you.

Step # 4 - Save your money by doing it the right way.

I had 2 people look into this problem it had 4 codes a I forgot now what they where now but all part where supposed to fix problems and none did but I pulled codes with the jumper wire so did mechanics they r all at a loss so I'm I and I just want to get it going

Stop - let's think about this for a minute:

1. Car ran OK

2. Washed the engine with water

3. Car doesn't run OK

Hmmmm . . . . let me think here . . . . Oh! Maybe it's still wet? <g>

Park it in the sun with the hood up. Arrange a big fan to blow on the engine. Wait a day or two and try it again.

Or . . . that's what I would do first. <g>

PHM
------

Ok here we go first I tried to be nice and cleanup the motor so I purple stuffed it then hosed it off that started the problems it runs fine for about 3 miles then the speedometer starts jumping around and the car surges.I changed ecm,speed sensors ,coil and nock sensor.any body have any ideas on what's the next part I put on it

Is it possible that you have changed the calibration of the Throttle Positioning Sensor? (..or maybe you still have water inside its connector..?) I have seen symptoms very much like what you are describing when one or both of the screws become loose.

The TPS is a black colored sensor on the outside of the throttle body right where the big black air hose coming from the air filter box connects to the silver part of the throttle body. It faces toward the firewall and has a rectangular shaped 4-pin connector. Additionally, it has 2 screws that connect it to the throttle body, and at least one of the screw holes leaves room for adjusting the calibration. (..I have attached a picture..)

Don't just replace it, check to see if it is mounted tightly, and then check to see if the connector is dry and plugged in all the way.

Good Luck.

Attachments

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Its had since April to dry out hence the 2 different mechanics and all the parts
Never, ever replace parts unless they have been diagnosed as being bad. Otherwise you end up with a lot of money wasted and perfectly good parts replaced, while the original problem still persists.

I was thinking about this post for a while last night. (..my son has the same car..)

Another possibility - that involves a very easy/no cost fix - is that you might have loosed or damaged one of the electrical ground connections when you were cleaning the engine. I know of at least two ground straps on that car; one on the driver's side and connects to the top of the trans-axle, another is on the passenger side and connects to the throttle body. There might also be one that connects to the back of the engine block underneath the intake area. (..I will go look once I'm done eating breakfast..)

Check both of those connections and make sure they are clean and tight.