1995 Has Belt Squeal On Start

I have average car knowledge at best and my 1995 corolla squeals loudly when I start her up. I have had two people look at it but both gave me different advice. The squeal is louder when I turn and goes on for about 4-6 secs. (one of the guys I went to tightened a few bolts and the squeal went away for about a week or so but came back even worse.) Please and thank you for your help.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Guessing, (which it is), it sounds like the serpentine belt is slipping and is worn out.

How old is that belt? If the serpentine belt breaks, (it's only rubber), the power steering pump, the alternator and the water pump will stop functioning.

Look at the big rubber belt that is going around several different pulleys on your engine, (use a strong light), and see if the belt looks like it has a lot of cracks or is glazed. What do you see?

The 93 through 97 Corollas have three separate belts; one to drive the Alternator-Water Pump, one for AC Compressor and one for Power Steering Pump. The PS belt is driven by a double-wide pulley that mounts on the front of the water pump.

Three possibilities come to mind here:

1. The mounting bracket on the PS pump pivots to function as the PS belt tensioner. (..this is probably what one of your mechanics tightened..) Maybe it keeps coming loose. The actual bolt that tightens it up can be a real booger to get to and put any torque on.

2. The PS pump might be low on fluid. (..or starting to go out.. but let's not go there yet...) Do you hear a groaning noise every time you turn the wheels? If so, check the fluid level. If that's okay, take the belt off and check to make sure that the pump spins freely.

3. The PS pump is driven off of a pulley that mounts to the front of the water pump. It is possible that the water pump might be starting to go out. (..this one is serious.. possibilities 1 and 2 will just make your power steering stop working. Possibility 3 can trash your motor if the water pump locks up and you keep driving it..)
-Is there any sign of coolant leaking underneath the water pump pulley?
-Is there a rattling noise in the vicinity of the water pump? (..you can get a mechanic's stethoscope at Harbor Freight for about $3 that will allow you to listen to the bearing in the water pump..or you can use a narrow strip of wood to listen..)

If there is coolant leaking or if the water pump is noisy, you could be looking at replacing a water pump, but there's no reason to buy any new parts yet. Let's figure out whats wrong first.

I can post a picture of the entire front of that engine if that will be helpful to you. Just let me know.

Thank you vmckenney

If it helps narrow it down, I was backing into a spot today and when I turned my wheel all the way to the right or left, I could hear a noise coming from the belts. It wasn't a squeal though

The PS pump will make noises when you get it extended all the way one direction or the other.

As Scott said, it will be best to start by looking at the condition of the belts. If they are old and dried out, that's a good starting point. If the PS belt looks okay, make sure it's tight enough. If you grab it with your fingers - WITH MOTOR SHUT OFF - you should be able to turn it about 1/4 of an inch. Any more and the belt is too loose.

-Then check the power steering fluid; keep in mind there is a hot and cold reading on the dipstick. If the engine has been running for a while use the "hot" reference side. If you have just started it for the day use the "cold" reference side.

-Next, look for coolant dripping out of a hole (..called a "weep" hole..) on the bottom of the water pump.

Keep me posted on what you find.

Thanks again, my first problem is solved! My power steering belt completely stopped working on my way home from work so I stopped off at a service station. The guy looked at my engine and immediately knew the problem. The alternator was literally hanging by one bolt that had no nut. Luckily for me, the nut had fallen into the car so it was still there. The mechanic put the nut back on and tightened a bolt underneath the alternator and the problem was solved. I have another problem though. My a/c isn't working now. It used to blast ice cold air and after the mechanic fixed the alternator, the a/c stopped working. Any ideas?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Ask the mechanic that worked on it? They may have caused damage? Getting them to admit to it and stand behind their work is another matter.