1996 - Missfiring When Driving

I have a 96 corolla and it all started when one day it wouldn't start, so it wasn't getting any spark so I put a coil on it and it started, when driving home right after the new coil change it started to jerk driving 55-60mph so I put new plugs,cap,rotor button,wires and a different coil, it still does it, it has been doing it for a couple of months, the engine light comes on and AUTOZONE checked the code and it came up air/fuel mixture system lean bank 1 (cyclinder number1 denotes bank 1) Would anyone have a clue what this could mean , The car sits and idles fine with no simming or jerking. Thanks alot

Last edited:
It could be many different issues, but I hesitate to mention any of them for concern you might start replacing parts and that can get very expensive and frustrating. I recommend getting the car to a competent automotive technician for diagnosis.

change your cam sensor sounds stupid but i had that problem it fixed now my car vibrates a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
May be some system thinking something is going on when it isn't. Sounds screwy, but my '98 S10 sometimes thinks someone is trying to start it in another way other than with the key, and it jerks and jerks. Only did it in the morning after a rain. Could drive it to work, let it sit in the rain, and start it again with no jerking at all. Fixed it by spraying the coils and surrounding wiring with silicone. In other words, there was a short in the wiring that only went whacko in the morning during a rain. Your issue could be as weird, despite the reading by the Autozone tech. At least now you know it isn't your plugs, wires, and etc.