1998 Corolla, 4 Speed Auto, Code P0758....HELP!!!

Aloha,

Checked the search function and can not come up with a answer. This is a great car as I have had it for almost 5 years. Has always had the check engine lite but now getting ready to pass it on to my teenage son, but won't do it unless I know the car can get out of the way of others when he presses the pedal.

Getting a code 0758 on a 1998 Corolla 4 speed automatic. Changed the solenoid, the fluid twice and the ECM. Checked the wiring (only three wires that go from the ECM to the transmission solenoids). Tried to clear the trouble code after each repair or test and still getting the same code. As a last resort I disconnected the battery (negative side) overnight. Still get the same code even without starting the car (with just the ignition on). At my wits end as this is my only car and the gas mileage is getting worse and worse by way of the car not shifting or downshifting when I floor it or even when I press the Over Drive (O/D) button on the gear shift selector. The light comes on but does not actuate anything. I know the transmission works because I can go from L to 2 to 3 to Drive and back down again manually.

Somebody please help! The only thing I have not tried is a transmission flush, that's next on the list but tired of throwing money at a diagnosis. Its a really good car for a new driver, A/C, paint, sounds and rims and tires, just can't risk him driving the car and not being able to kick down to a passing gear.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.