1998 Corolla - Cutting Out - Need Help

The engine cuts out every so often. It cuts out or sputters when I'm driving in town or if I have four people in the car. It does not cut when I am on the highway. I drive it alot sometimes I take 2 hour trips. I don't want it to die on me far away from home! I have a check engine light on. The reason why it's on is it says the Catilitic converter needs to be replaced. But everyone that I talk to says they don't think the cat is the reason. I have done all of these things cleaned the throttle body, replaced ignition coils, spark plugs, spark plug wires, Had Toyota fuel injection cleaning, used Toyota fuel additive cleaner, checked fuel injector plugs with an injector plug tool, (Have not tested or replaced injectors) I have done a compresion test and compresion was good. I have not replaced the fuel pump and I was told that if I want to replace the fuel filter it is in the gas tank with or on the fuel pump. This car does not have a mass air flow sensor. I don't know what else I should do. Hopefuly someone has had this problem and figured it out. I will take any advice. Thank you!

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Stop replacing things and diagnose.

Have a professional diagnose the problem and then if you wish you can perform the repair yourself. But don't be a victim of the discount auto parts stores who recommend you replace this, that and the other thing, selling you hundreds of dollars worth of unneeded parts.

my corolla does the same but always on the highway in 4th or 5th gear,it start to sputter and then cuts out. when its standing for a few minutes it goes again but after a few days it does it again just as i go out on highway ,i drive everyday on the highway but its not doing it every time,any idea what it could be?

Okay replaced the fuel pump,car got a service and carburator kit and still same problem,only now its worse,every time when i want to drive faster,the moment when i give little bit more petrol, the car starts to sputter and if i keep on giving gas it dies. does it now every time. when i drive very slow it does not happen

Okay replaced the fuel pump,car got a service and carburator kit and still same problem,only now its worse,every time when i want to drive faster,the moment when i give little bit more petrol, the car starts to sputter and if i keep on giving gas it dies. does it now every time. when i drive very slow it does not happen
What you need to do is check the emissions system for a defective part. the california emissions system includes parts like the pcv valve, Vacuum Switching Valve, EGR, charcoal canister and all related hoses. I currently have a similar cutting out problem. I recently removed the VSV and tested its resistance and it failed.