1998 Corolla Not Indicating Speed

Hi Guys:

For a while my car a Corolla 1998 has been having a problem with the speed indicator. It just goes off. The milage indicator goes off, does not indicate anything and the needle of the indicator remains in Zero regardless of speed.

The main problem is that when this happens the transmition starts to make rough shifts (because it does not know the speed the car is going).

At the beginning used to happen more often when the exterior temperature was hot, not so much at night or during the winter.

Now it does not work anymore.

At some point it gave an error with the speed sensor. I replaced the speed sensor but the problem remained the same.

I would like to sell the car but with this problem it would be hard.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Could be a loose wire on the back of your gauge cluster. That would be fairly easy to fix.

It could also be a broken wire connecting to the transmission. In newer cars it's a sensor instead of a wire, but I'm not sure when Toyota made the switch.

Good luck!

Elvis: your solution?

Elvis,
Same issue with my son's 98 corolla.
Did you find solution?
I've replaced sensor and wiggled & jiggled wires but to no avail.
Thanks for any info.
Dan

Speed sensor connect to the PCM, then the PCM tells the speedometer how much to move. Since you have transmission issues, resitance check the wiring from the VSS to where it hooks into the PCM. If you get OL, wire needs to be replaced.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I remember my Acura had a magnet or a stick that goes into the trns part. see if your work is properly done. may be like said above loose stuff