1999 Corolla - Midyear Change in Fuel Tank

I have a 1999 Corolla (actually a Chevy Prizm) but can find no help even from Chevy dealers as the car is so old. But the Toyota dealer is ready, willing and able to get things straight although I'm afraid of how high the cost might wind up being. To the point, my fuel tank began leaking gas back in October 2013 due to advanced rusting. I took it to a shop recommended to me by my nephew, who swears by them. They put in a USED tank they got from salvage claiming they couldn't find a new one anywhere, anytime soon. When I got the car back, on every turn my 1-3 cylinders would cut out making the car barely able to move. Very scary. I took it back there and I was told I needed a new fuel pump. The old one was perfect so why a new one? After awhile from then, my gas gauge eventually showed a quarter tank and then the low fuel light came on and shortly after, ran out of gas. I wondered why the gauge just seemed to quit dropping mile after mile. Again, I took it back and was told he sanded off some corrosion, etc. on the fuel sending unit, which used to work perfectly. ????? Now, the gauge will not show over 3/4 full, but will go to below E, as expected, but NO low fuel light anymore, and finally, there's raw gas leaking somewhere again. Sorry for the long-winded post but I saw no other way to clarify this mess otherwise. Now, the main question here is that the Toyota dealer informed me that there was a change in the fuel tank sometime in the 1999 series. Now I wonder if the tank the other shop put in is the wrong one for the original fuel pump and gauge sending module, and if the parts of that module may now be damaged due to that shop "trying" to get it all right, which of course, it isn't. My fuel gauge is basically meaningless now. Does anyone in the forum know of this fuel tank change? Stymied in Inkster, Michigan.

Thanks in advance,:(
Phil Bagley