1ZZ-FE problems solved yet?

Couldn't think of a better place to ask this question. Very briefly I owned a Celica with a 1ZZ-FE engine, learned that the engine design for at least that year was problematic; the oil burning even gums up the catalytic converter, so you replace the engine and the converter or it would likely screw up your rebuilt unit. Because mine turned out to be an oil-burner (about 400 miles per quart) I unloaded it at a loss. However that was a 2001 with 86K miles on it; so the other day I happened upon a great deal on a really nice 2008 Corolla CE with, oh no, a 1ZZ-FE engine. So my question is, built seven years later, do these engines have the same oil-burning issues??

I have a 2007 with 85,000 miles and it doesn't burn a drop between 5,000 mile oil changes with synthetic oil. I've been impressed with the 1ZZ-FE

I have a 2007 with 85,000 miles and it doesn't burn a drop between 5,000 mile oil changes with synthetic oil. I've been impressed with the 1ZZ-FE
Thank you! Was beginning to think this was a touchy subject. I hope others will reply, and I'm hoping someone is familiar with the specifics of this engine and its history.

Thank you! Was beginning to think this was a touchy subject. I hope others will reply, and I'm hoping someone is familiar with the specifics of this engine and its history.
Looks like you were right. 8th generation 1ZZ-FEs apparently were notorious for burning oil. It would be nice to find out what exactly they engineered differently on the 9th gen platforms to correct the issue.

Edit: Posted too soon. Apparently they revised the pistons on the updated 1ZZ-FE

Looks like you were right. 8th generation 1ZZ-FEs apparently were notorious for burning oil. It would be nice to find out what exactly they engineered differently on the 9th gen platforms to correct the issue.

Edit: Posted too soon. Apparently they revised the pistons on the updated 1ZZ-FE
Another issue is the dual timing chains. Initially I thought that would mean you wouldn't need to replace a belt, but I've read the chains need replaced sooner than 100K miles. Any thoughts?

I dont think we need to replace the chains. These chains are for lifetime.

Also there is no Oil burning issue. I was having 2005 model (Japanese version) and I was very satisfied with performance of 1ZZ-FE. The pick was awesome and the fuel consumption was very good. Just bcuz of 1ZZ-FE I upgraded 2008 model. And no there is no issue with the oil. I change the oil every 5000 km.

Chico

I recently bought a used 2007 Corolla CE with 130,000 miles and it doesn't burn a drop between 5,000 mile oil changes with traditional oil.