2000 Corolla CE - Problem

On Saturday, July 13th, I was driving back from out of town going 70+ miles per hour on the interstate for about forty miles. I accidentally took the wrong exit, a mile short of the exit I wanted, and decided to first go to a gas station before getting back on the road. When I came out and started my car again nothing was wrong at all. Even when I got back on the interstate there was still nothing wrong, until I got on the exit ramp. Once on the ramp my car started slowing down, I was giving it gas and it kept slowing. As I came to a stop at a stoplight just off the ramp the car just shut off shut down. I gave it gas and nothing happened, so I turned it off and on with no luck, but then my battery, check engine light and oil lights were all on. My first thought was to check the oil and it was bone dry, I had checked a week earlier and it was low, but nothing to be concerned about. After leaving the car alone for five or so minutes I called AAA, and while I was on the phone I started it again and the engine was shaking sound terribly it felt was like something was loose in there. However when I gave it gas it went forward, even though the shaking continued. About 300 or so feet later I stopped at another light, the shaking got worse and then when I gave it gas I got nothing. I managed to push it into a parking lot on a side street where I called AAA again for a tow in after trying to start it with no luck several times. It was towed to my mechanic who apparently doesn't work on Saturdays or Sundays, but on Sunday I went over myself and put about four quarts of oil in it. When I started it up the shaking and noises were just as bad. I realize it is my fault for not staying on top of the oil and I am seeing my mechanic tomorrow. I am assuming that the shaking and noises were caused by running the poor car with no oil, and I would like to just kind of get an idea of what that may have done to the engine and how much it will cost to fix if that is the problem. :thumbdown:

Why would you run the engine with no oil in it? An engine must have oil to be able to run. Running the engine with no oil likely destroyed it. You are looking at a new engine, which is thousands of dollars.

I hadn't driven it for a week and when I checked prior to my trip there was still a good amount in there. I was planning on getting some more when I got back, but when I talked to my mechanic today he said that cars of that age with 150,000+ miles just burn through oil. So basically it is a gonner....