2000 Corolla - Suspenion Questions

good day Toyotaville!

My front end was making noise, didn't feel right, and just felt loose. I went to 2 chain places to get it diagnosed and one local shop. I"ll be doing the work myself along with my DIY best friend Manual Haynes. See what I did there? Hahahahaha. The consensus is this, I need to do front and back end suspension/steering work, (btw my 2000 CE has only 78,500 miles, all these repairs seem untimely too much, I don't drive nuts, is this normal? Previous owner? the 16" aftermarket rims are responsible?):

0) Rear Hub Assemblies (I've done this b4 once, (and the front also), so no biggie easy)

1) Lower Control Arms (Both)

2) Inner Tie Rod (Just Left) - Should I do the right one as well?

NOW, the following I'm uncertain about whether these parts are all together, separate, and the order of operation, as to not repeatedly have to remove the same bolts/nuts 2 or 3 times:

3) Sway Bar Links (Kit?) - Front and Rear

4) Link Pins - All: Front and Rear, Left and Right

5) Front Lower Control Arm Bushings - Rear (this is how it is written on my estimate, as strange as this looks)

6) Stabilizer Bars?

7) Ball Joints?

ALSO: is there anything else I should INSPECT/REPLACE while I'm working on the above? are there any MODS/PERFORMANCE UPGRADES I should/could do while I'm doing this?

Please state what the order of operation should be.

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH Toyotaville!

btw: http://www.haynes.com/ <<< complete manuals are a life/time saver y'all!

that's what i'm saying, with only 78K miles, this should not be happening.:thumbdown:

i've had it since 2009, when it had 58,000 miles on it. i did a "car fax" thingy. odometer rollback a possibility, but is there a way to check for it now?:eek:

i'm thinking it's the aftermarket 16" rims and/or the previous owner didn't take care of it. it was a young guy, and the interior was all dirty, seat had liquid spilled on them. i've been restoring it for 2 years now.:blink:

Cars that are neglected will wear out faster, yes. But still, this sounds extremely excessive.

Are you certain that all those parts really need replacing?

My destiniy!

ok Toyotaville, :thumbsup:
so it's been decided, i'm going to be doing all this work MYSELF on my 2000 corolla CE w/ 78k on it:

BOTH lower control arms BOTH inner tie rod ends BOTH front sway bar links BOTH rear sway bar links

QUESTION: >>> As far as parts, I'm thinking of going with ALL MOOG. is this a good choice? what other brands would be better?:huh:

i'm looking for PREMIUM and/or PERFORMANCE parts. i'd prefere a comfortable ride with longevity than a sporty ride, get both if possible. i don't want the cheap or average shiz as far as parts. i want the good stuff. i will NOT be lowering my corolla, racing it, or playing with anything. i just got factory 14" rims for it down from 16" rims.

BTW - i was about to buy parts locally when i noticed the same parts online for almost HALF OFF! :eek: amazing!

suggestions please? thanx gang. :yes:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
The big drawback to buying parts online/mail order is when it comes time for a warranty to be honored. Mailing back parts and waiting for replacements to arrive is a major pain in the neck. Purchasing the parts locally instead, you'll benefit from same day warranty service.

hey everyone,

in what order does it make sense to do these repairs, as to NOT repeat work - say take off the same bolts twice and such?

BOTH lower control arms

BOTH inner tie rod ends

BOTH front sway bar links

BOTH rear sway bar links

1) the above repairs are the sum of 3 estimates from repair shops, so i know this stuff "needs" to be replaced. are the BALL JOINTS assumed to be ok (if they didn't list them), or are they part (included when i buy) of a NEW Lower Control Arm part? hmmmm.

2) while i'm at it, i was thinking of changing out the stabilizer bar bushings to premium new ones, they are cheap. what do y'all think?

thanx ahead of time!