2001 Corolla 5-Speed - Serious Transmission Grinding!

Anthony

Houston, we have a problem! And work was just plain boring until this happened!

My 2001 Corolla has a 5 speed, manual transmission and 187,650 miles. I bought it about 2 months ago from a computer geek named Daniel. As far as I could tell, he's a careful, competent driver.

For the last month or so, it had been making a low level, rubbing, grinding kind of sound. Sort of like when brake pads are just beginning to wear out, but it wasn't the brakes. Sometimes the sound would go away for several minutes. Sometimes it was there when I started the car and for a few minutes. Then it would disappear for as long as I kept driving.

Then last night, woah Nelly! It started making this sound like the bendix (The part of the starter that moves out of the starter and rotates the flywheel to start the engine.) hitting the flywheel, but that didn't seem to be what was actually happening.

It made that hitting sound as often as every 10 seconds for 3 times in a row, then at random times. Then the grinding sound became very loud! I had to drive it back to the apartment after work, about 12 miles. It was still making the grinding sound. Then it made another sound, sort of like an orbital metal polisher whirring around or a 1950s, science fiction movie, flying saucer taking off! That was weird!

When I pressed the clutch pedal, the grinding sound disappeared, until it was very loud at the end of my trip. Then even with the clutch pedal down, I could still hear the grinding sound a bit. Then when I let up on the clutch pedal, it was super loud again.

Even so, the Corolla didn't seem to have any less power. I was able to park it okay.

Any landing you can walk away from:

At least I made it back to the house. I'm wondering what caused this rapid meltdown. I've done all manner of car repairs, but I know next to zero about transmissions. My best guess is that bits of the clutch material (I've read it's the same or similar to the stuff on brake pads.) broke off the clutch, but that's a guess. And what caused that low level grinding sound to begin with?

Do I need a new clutch or is the problem something to do with the innards of the transmission?

I've read that paying a mechanic to replace a clutch costs around $1,000. I only paid $1,500 for the whole car. I don't want to do that. I've replaced several axles (The manual calls them half-shafts, heck, it's an axle.) and timing belts, along with starters, alternators, brake pads and brake calipers. I read the chapter in the Corolla manual where it describes how to replace the clutch. I should be able to handle it, except I would have to work outside and it's supposed to rain off and on for the next 4 days.

If I need a new clutch, any thoughts on how much to spend? I looked at the ones on the O'Reilly Auto Parts website and there are 3, going for $130, $150 and $200. Or what is a decent brand?

If the transmission has a bad part, can I get the new whatever part it is at O'Reilly or Napa? And is it something I need special tools to get out and put back in?

Thank you for your help! I appreciate your time and effort, Anthony :)

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
It might not have been the best thing to drive the car with all those horrendous sounds going on. It would seem serious damage has occurred as a result.

Before anything can be done, the problem needs to be diagnosed first. No way to know what to advise without knowing what is wrong. The problem will need to be diagnosed by a professional and then a repair plan can be created. Have the vehicle towed to a transmission repair shop so even more expensive damage doesn't occur.

Whatever you paid for the vehicle vs whatever a repair costs are really irrelevant. What matters is the cost to drive down the road. If you spent $1,500 for the vehicle, but don't want to spend the needed money for repairs, well then that was $1,500 thrown away. Very expensive to do that.