2001 - Lean ODB Code (P0171), Weird Throttle Issues

Hi, I have a 2001. I was on a long trip, getting great mileage (probably could have hit 400 miles on a tank), when I my check engine light came on. I had an OBD reader with me, so I plugged it in at the next stop. It was a P0171, system too lean code. I hadn't had any issues before that, although my mileage was never all that great in the city, but I had never had that good of mileage on the highway as I did this trip. I cleared the code with the reader, and the light didn't come back on for the rest of the trip, or again for like 3 weeks til I did some work. More on the below.

I got home and looked up the code and read about what the possible causes could be in the '01. From then on, I had trouble when I started up. The engine would stall or sound like it was stalling when I started up if I didn't crank it for a second more than usual. I eventually got a new intake manifold gasket and throttle body gasket, and replaced both (also cleaned MAF and got new air filter). I also poured a good amount of Sea Foam into the gas and the engine oil, because it was due for a change soon.

The car started better after I replaced the gaskets, however it soon started acting funny, but only occasionally. Sometimes when I start the car, it will start fine, but when I put it into drive, I hit the pedal and nothing happens. The car essentially stays in idle when in Drive. Other times it will bog down and almost stall, but will have some throttle response. I have to put it into neutral to rev it (which it will do) until the engine warms up or does whatever it needs to do to run in Drive. Other times, it works as it's supposed to.

I am going to take a good look over the list of things in this article (https://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0171-and-P0174) but has anyone else seen this code and have any advice? Thanks for reading and any help.

Last edited:
No, everything got put back together correctly. I also didn't take the throttle linkage apart at any time during my work. It's essentially doing the same thing it did before I replaced the gaskets. It seems to me it's a sensor issue, or one of the other issues in the link I posted in my first post, like a vacuum leak. The only thing I can think of that I somehow messed up is the MAF sensor which I have cleaned a total of two times, but I cleaned it exactly as directed.

I get great mileage and better throttle response at high speeds, but going from idle to drive when first starting up is where I have my issues. I'll probably start with testing the MAF sensor then go from there.

I want to say it is electrical because the problem is intermittent, but that's just a shot in the dark. Otherwise I really have nothing. A vacuum leak won't idle bad one day then work fine the next. It will just idle badly all the time. The sea foam MIGHT be getting lose crud stuck in the fuel injectors and if the crud breaks free, engine runs fine until it catches another one maybe?