2001 Prizm, Installing a Stock Tachometer

Good Day,

My car is a 2001 Chevrolet Prizm. It has a 5 speed, manual transmission but no tachometer, which is wrong!

I just found a gauge box, gauge cluster on Craig’s List for only $20, cool. And it has a tachometer and it’s from a 2002 Corolla.

My questions are:

1 – If I pull the old gauge box, and install the one with the tachometer, will the tachometer work?

It seems like it would be easier for the designer to put in the wiring for the tachometer whether or not the car actually has one. I’ve read several references to a green wire which sends information to the tachometer. No one has given a firm explanation of where the other end of that green wire goes.

2 – Can I remove the speedometer or just the odometer and install the original speedometer/odometer in the new gauge box to keep the actual mileage?

3 – Did someone ever dope slap the Corolla designers because the back wheel wells rust out? If the fenders rusted out, they would be easy to replace, dirt bags.

I did five searches but I did not find any solid answers. I read a lot of – I think that – and – Do you have a green wire?

Thank you for your help and enjoy the rest of the summer, Anthony

Usually the wiring and the connectors will be different, but don't take my word for it. Best bet would be to get a wiring diagram and compare a non-tach cluster to a cluster with a tach in it.

The other end of the green wire will most likely go to the PCM. Pre OBD-II vehicles can also get the tachometer feed from the ignition coil.