2002 Corolla Belt Tensioner

Daughters 2002 toyota corolla makes a rattly/knocky noise at start up when cold - also seems to make this noise at med high rpm acceleration - noise appears to be coming from the serpentine belt area - is this the tensioner making the noise? I have a reciept from PO for tensioner replacement for $125 from a couple of years ago - could this be failing again so soon? Mechanic said he could also hear a noise from water pump - quoted $790 to replace tensioner, new water pump and new gaskets - car runs perfect and is in good shape - has 140 K Not sure if to keep running it for a while or get this work done now.

Thank you,

lee

Did you get the problem sorted out? I just changed the tensioner and belt on my granddaughters 2000 CE, took about an hour and the parts are readily available for a hundred bucks or so. Also changed her water pump two years ago (the car has 172,000 miles on it). That job didn't take very long either, and was pretty straight forward.

In our case it was the belt tensioner that was rattling. The water pump had a very slight seep, and I changed it as a precaution.

Lol just posted something very similar... my 99 corolla also has 140k and the belt tensioner is acting up, but my mechanic said it was just the pulley bearings going out. I can't find a pulley replacement online (i can find the assembly of course)...and going to a junkyard will be a pain. Help.

Did you get the problem sorted out? I just changed the tensioner and belt on my granddaughters 2000 CE, took about an hour and the parts are readily available for a hundred bucks or so. Also changed her water pump two years ago (the car has 172,000 miles on it). That job didn't take very long either, and was pretty straight forward.

In our case it was the belt tensioner that was rattling. The water pump had a very slight seep, and I changed it as a precaution.

No, it still is making that noise - is there any way you can provide a simple description as to what you had to go to replace? On you tube it shows a fairly involved process requiring lifting engine to remove bolts.

Lee

So far as the belt tensioner is concerned, the dampener on mine seemed fine, however the rubber bushings that the mounting bolts pass through were worn severely, resulting in the rattle. The replacement requires that you first remove the belt, then remove one nut and one bolt that secure the tensioner assembly to the motor. Assemble in reverse order. No lifting of the engine is needed.

The water pump can be changed while the belt is off. Access is gained by removing the right front tire/wheel, and the plastic inner fender curtain. Then it is simply remove and replace the few bolts that secure the pump to the engine.

I used a Haynes manual and if I recall there may have been a video on Youtube. I will look later this afternoon for any links that I can find. Also I will send a link for the replacement dampener. I would not recommend the Gates kit that includes a new pulley for the alternator. The new pulley as supplied requires a special tool kit to install.

Last edited:
So far as the belt tensioner is concerned, the dampener on mine seemed fine, however the rubber bushings that the mounting bolts pass through were worn severely, resulting in the rattle. The replacement requires that you first remove the belt, then remove one nut and one bolt that secure the tensioner assembly to the motor. Assemble in reverse order. No lifting of the engine is needed.

The water pump can be changed while the belt is off. Access is gained by removing the right front tire/wheel, and the plastic inner fender curtain. Then it is simply remove and replace the few bolts that secure the pump to the engine.

I used a Haynes manual and if I recall there may have been a video on Youtube. I will look later this afternoon for any links that I can find. Also I will send a link for the replacement dampener. I would not recommend the Gates kit that includes a new pulley for the alternator. The new pulley as supplied requires a special tool kit to install.

Thank you, far simpler than I thought - did you find this cured the noise? its odd because it is not a constant rattle/knocking noise - just when first started and then when put into drive/reverse - when cold - when warm it seems to go away - I may replace as a precaution - the water pump seems fine.

lee