2002 Corolla CE Manual 5-speed Problems

I have heard through several sources that C50 transmissions are prone to losing fifth gear and they give several internal transmission repairs that require $thousands of dollars$ to repair. I have experienced problems engaging 5th gear to where it is not possible to engage it, then losing ability to engage 3rd gear same way, and have come to a different conclusion which I am exploring and want to share with others who may have the same problems. I have found the cables linking the shifter to the transmission to be the likely culprit.

As the cable stretches over time it is logical that 5th gear is the furthest travel and 3rd is the next. I looked at replacing the 2 cables. Toyota dealers are way off base on the replacement cable prices. They want $450 plus times two cables equals almost one thousand dollars. The Geo Prism shifter does not have cables and converting may be the cheaper way to a permanent repair. Has anyone out there done this? I am confident that the transmission itself is not the problem in this case and others may be changing transmissions unnecessarily.