2002 Corolla/Daughter and 2011 Corolla/Wife

Hi I came on this forum to find out some info about my daughter's 2002 Corolla that I just bought a year ago and immediately realized it was burning oil. Well just the other day the engine finally kaputed out and now I am amazed to see how many people have the same problem. I found a used engine with only 85,ooo kms on it for $800 but I'm not sure if I'm just putting the same problem back into the car?
Does anyone know if it was just the 2002 engine and if I put a different year engine in would I be okay then?

The 2011 Corolla sport is a great car with my only complaint being very poor visibility!

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :):thumbsup:

1998 - 2002 Corolla's commonly have high oil consumption problems. Search the forum here and you'll find many posts about it. I would not recommend paying any money for a replacement engine that is likely going to have the same problem. A quality rebuilt engine would be the way to go, as long as the car is otherwise in decent shape and worth putting a rebuilt engine into. It's not the value of the car to consider, but the cost of driving down the road. If you can fix your Corolla with a rebuilt engine and if that costs less than a replacement car than the rebuilt engine might be the best path to take/lowest cost per mile to get you down the road.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Everything will be put on hold for now as my daughter doesn't have the money to do anything so it will probably sit in my driveway until spring which will give me plenty of time to figure out what to do. I was told by Toyota that if the used engine is clean (no sludge) and gets regular oil changes then there shouldn't be any problems down the road???

You can use the 1ZZ-FE that was in the '03 - '08, but I side with Scott and say rebuild it if the rebuild will cost less than another car.

Rebuilding gives you an engine at 0 miles ... as opposed to a used mystery engine that may have been beat to hell before the chassis was crashed.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Keep in mind, that it is not just about replacing an engine, it is about the harnesses and wiring tht get plugged in all around, troubles can come about. keep us all posted what you do and how it turns out

Won't know what I'm doing until the spring. Getting the car towed to my place tomorrow then it will sit until winter is over. So I'll keep you informed and probably have more questions later on.
Side note.... I could have a 2002 Toyota Corolla for sale with a blown engine lol

Just a thought...

New Shortblock

Shortblock would be perfect as well. If you got a dressed '03 - '08 engine you'd wind up ditching a lot of the dressings and using the ones from the old engine so that everything hooks up the way it should.

Of course, this is assuming that you threw a rod and that the top end of the motor is in good enough shape to be re-used.

O'Reilly Auto also has a longblock, but it is remanufactured.

Long Block