2002 Corolla Engine Rebuild

Dman

Hello, I am looking to rebuild the engine in my wife's '02 Corolla.....it went to a shop for an oil change and I didn't drive for a couple months afterwards....the next time I was in it I asked her how long the engine had been making that noise, she said, since the oil change....I checked it and had to add 3 qts of oil lol. Its been burning a quart every 1000 miles since. Anyway I think it just has stuck rings or something....hopefully the cylinder walls aren't screwed up too badly. My question is, does anyone have a list or link to a list of mandatory replacement parts? I plan to do valve cover / head gasket, head bolts, piston rings and rod bearing, need to know if there are other parts that should be done while I have it torn apart. I'm also looking for a link or a good manual suggestion for this so I have all the torque specs., etc. I have rebuilt diesel engines in the military but we had manuals a 3rd grader could follow for this stuff lol. I've never done a gas engine and want to make sure I don't make it any worse than it is. Thanks in advance!

honestly i would grab a chilton manual from your local auto parts store. some times people torgue there bolts diff depending what there doing. also if u plan on working on your own cars/trucks you can get the online program that ase tec's used called (alldata).com.. check it out and good luck!

If the auto center that did the oil change on the car left it 3 quarts low, it seems to me they are the ones that need to have the engine rebuilt, not you. I take it a petroleum oil was used?
With any engine rebuild, the engine block should be taken to a machine shop to see if the cylinders need honing, or boring. The cylinder head should also be checked by the machine shop to see if it needs a valve job.

http://www.AllDataDIY.com is a professional auto repair guide, is very thorough, with original equipment manufacturers repair procedures, TSB's, recall notices, etc. It's only $26.95 and in my opinion is light years better than any other auto repair manual on the market.

I hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

Dman

Bad deal

Well normally I would agree 100%.....but the work was done by my brother-in-law. I didn't feel it would be worth the family problems to say something and possibly get him fired. We are planning to get a new vehicle anyway and the engine rebuild would just be back up plans. Thanks for the info.

You can do it -

But if it were me I would pull the engine and strip it to the bare block first. Then engage an engine rebuilding machine shop to check and make sure the bores are clean, straight, true, and can be properly honed.

I would also have them check the crankshaft and cam. If the crank is out of spec they can re-grind it one size under and if the cams are worn they can be replaced.

The re-assembly I would do myself.

Although there are so many good used engines around that I'm not sure that I wouldn't just install one of them. <g>

PHM
------

Hello, I am looking to rebuild the engine in my wife's '02 Corolla.....it went to a shop for an oil change and I didn't drive for a couple months afterwards....the next time I was in it I asked her how long the engine had been making that noise, she said, since the oil change....I checked it and had to add 3 qts of oil lol. Its been burning a quart every 1000 miles since. Anyway I think it just has stuck rings or something....hopefully the cylinder walls aren't screwed up too badly. My question is, does anyone have a list or link to a list of mandatory replacement parts? I plan to do valve cover / head gasket, head bolts, piston rings and rod bearing, need to know if there are other parts that should be done while I have it torn apart. I'm also looking for a link or a good manual suggestion for this so I have all the torque specs., etc. I have rebuilt diesel engines in the military but we had manuals a 3rd grader could follow for this stuff lol. I've never done a gas engine and want to make sure I don't make it any worse than it is. Thanks in advance!