2002 Corolla NOT Consuming Oil

All,

I've been reading my brains out about the 1998-2002 Corollas burning oil due to higher than planned combustion chamber temps. It seems oil gets burned up and sludges, gums, etc. into oil holes that then prevent oil from passing through and increasing combustion chamber temps even more. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this (no need for loads of tiny additional details).

So my 2002 Corolla has ~90K on it and has had no issues with oil consumption. I've read loads about why these cars consume oil. Now I want to hear why some of them DO NOT consume oil. Your thoughts?

Mine has been on conventional motor oil and change intervals of between 3-5K miles.

Would you recommend changing to synthetic oil and 7500 mile interval changes now or leave it alone (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) or (if it ain't broke, fix it until it is)?

Lastly, ever heard of using water to clean out carbon, sludge, etc.?

Thanks to everyone's thoughts on this.

Toyota had problems with these engines and thousands of them were replaced under warranty with an engine that had a revised piston design, alleviating the problem. It is possible this was done with your Corolla. If not, sooner or later this problem will rear its ugly head.

With the problems older Toyota's had due to the comparatively poor performing conventional petroleum based motor oils they had been using, I have a very strong suspicion this is now why all new Toyota's come with synthetic oil in their engines right from the Toyota factory assembly lines. Since they started doing this, suddenly the oil problems went away.

No, I would not recommend changing to just any synthetic oil, as most of them on the market today I would not put in my engine if you paid me. Most of them are not even synthetic oils in the traditional sense of the term, which is a man-made high performance lubricant that comes from a laboratory and is known as a Group IV PAO based synthetic motor oil, that outperforms a conventional petroleum lubricant in every single comparison. It has no petroleum oil in it at all. The vast majority of, "synthetic oils", on the market today are merely conventional petroleum based crude oils, (and all the inherent drawbacks they are saddled with), but merely subjected to a higher degree of refining. They are known as Group III, "synthetic oils". Since so many man-made process are used to manufacture this cheaper, "synthetic oil", in the U.S.A., it can be legally referred to as a, "synthetic oil". I find this very deceptive and abusive of consumers. In Germany, they don't allow these deceptive practices and the lower performing Group III oils are not allowed to be referred to as a synthetic oil. We can all buy a $39 radial tire, or we can buy a higher priced radial tire from Bridgestone, or Michelin and reap all the benefits the better quality radial tires offer. So it goes with synthetic oils too. Wise consumer don't buy a price, they buy a product.

One of the most distinct drawbacks of a conventional petroleum based crude oil pumped from the ground, is that the molecules of this oil are random in size. Some of them are large, some of them are medium and some of them are small. When subjected to the high temperatures found inside a modern day engine, the smaller molecules burn off or evaporate first, which then can create sludge, carbon deposits, varnish and gum inside the engine. This acts as a layer of insulation, reducing the transfer of heat from the engine to the atmosphere, causing engine temperatures to increase, which causes more sludge, further escalating engine temperatures, and so on. It's a vicious circle. Because of this, the oil inside the engine gets thicker and thicker, which reduces lubrication and fuel economy. This is why many motorists have noted that as they put more and more miles on their conventional petroleum lubricated engine, the fuel economy will decrease. Then when they change the oil, (removing the thickened oil), and install new oil, presto, better fuel economy returns. This is not a problem with high quality synthetic motor oils like AMSOIL, as they don't tend to thicken over time.

Conversely, true Group IV PAO based synthetic motor oils like AMSOIL Signature Series have their molecules all the same size, which makes them very resistant to burning off inside a hot engine, greatly reducing or even totally eliminating engine sludge. Another benefit is at the other end of the temperature spectrum, when it gets very cold in the winter. With conventional petroleum oils, the larger molecules along with naturally occurring contaminants like paraffin/waxes that remain in the finished product of a bottle of conventional petroleum oil, congeal, making the oil very thick. This can lead to hard starts during cold winters, reduced lubrication, increased engine wear and reduced fuel economy. Cold room engine start tests have shown that up to 40% of all engine wear occurs during cold winter engine starts while using a conventional petroleum oil. Simply using a high quality synthetic oil will alleviate that problem.

Also, merely because an oil has the, "synthetic oil", label on the oil bottle doesn't mean it is capable of safe extended drain intervals. For a synthetic oil to be safely capable of that, its additive package has to be formulated for the rigors of extended drain service. Up to 25% of a quart of motor oil is made up of its additive package, which are chemicals a tribologist, (an oil chemist), adds to the oil to address either the oils shortcomings, (as with a conventional petroleum oil), or improve its performance, as with a high quality synthetic motor oil like AMSOIL. The vast majority of, "synthetic oils", available in today's market are not formulated for safe extended drain intervals and have the exact same recommended drain intervals from the companies that manufacture them as their conventional petroleum oil offerings do.

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are formulated for safe extended drain intervals up to 25,000 miles and pioneered the synthetic oil industry for cars and trucks with the worlds first 100% synthetic API qualified motor oil way back in 1972, over 40 years ago.

Below is a link to an excellent article on synthetic motor oils and it will answer many your questions in-depth.

Synthetic Oil: Rx For Long Engine Life -

http://getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/syntheticoil/

Below is a short video that covers the basics of synthetic oils and is very informative.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask. I'm an independent AMSOIL synthetic lubricants Dealer of close to 30 years experience and I can help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can call your local Toyota dealers Parts or Service Dept. and providing them with the VIN for the car they can look up the history of your car with Toyota and find out if the engine was ever replaced.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
If you contact your local Toyota dealer and provide them with the VIN of the car, they can look it up in their database to see if the engine was ever replaced under warranty with an engine with the revised piston design. Many of them were. You might not have anything to really worry about.

I know this may be a boring subject but a bit of discussion might show why some 2002s don't burn oil and others do.

Come on, there have to be some others out there with a fine running engine with >100K on it.

Kev250R

This is my other car
I think it's too subjective as there may have been minor changes internally to the engine (such as a difference in oil drain holes in the pistons year-to-year). Besides that oil consumption can depend on how an engine was treated in it's early miles.

I will say this, my girl drives an '03 Corolla with a 1.8 and who knows how many miles (I suspect the odometer has been played with) and it doesn't use a drop of oil. I run Valvoline 20/50 conventional in it and it primarily gets driven around town (no long highway trips).

Kevin

Kevin, there's really no need to use such a thick oil in the Corolla, not using a good quality synthetic oil anyway. :)

A petroleum oil that thick can actually increase engine wear.

Kev250R,

I agree with the subjectivity but that is what this forum is all about. For instance you mention that your girl's car is an 2003. The oil burning problem ended in 2002 apparently.

I'm just trying to see what people have to say about a Corolla that doesn't burn oil. Maybe I'm just trying to be hopeful of my girl's Corolla approaching 90K and don't want to start seeing oil disappearing.

Thanks for the input.

Kev250R

This is my other car
Scott, thanks I may drop it down to 10/30 the next time I change it, it's just been my experience that older motors which tend to burn oil, tend to burn it less with the thicker oil. I have nothing scientific to prove that, just been my experience. That and I run it in four other cars and had a few quarts on-hand when her car was (way) overdue for an oil change a couple of months ago.

Kevin

Kev250R,

I agree with the subjectivity but that is what this forum is all about. For instance you mention that your girl's car is an 2003. The oil burning problem ended in 2002 apparently.

I'm just trying to see what people have to say about a Corolla that doesn't burn oil. Maybe I'm just trying to be hopeful of my girl's Corolla approaching 90K and don't want to start seeing oil disappearing.

Thanks for the input.
You might be better off being proactive about this oil burning problem and address it as soon as you can, because it's much more difficult to address after it rears its ugly head.

I have a 2000 Corolla VE, as basic as they come. Overdue on the oil change by 12K, car runs smoothly and seems lighter on its wheels than before. I have heard Click and Clack brothers 10K intervals or not bother at all. Heard of cars in Germany that never changed it and ran great. At 186K right now and wonder if I should be changing more frequently and with something like 10/30? Thanks for your thoughts

Zork - That all depends on what brand and type of oil you are referring to. Very few oils on the market today are capable of safe extended drain intervals. What kind of oil are you using, (petroleum or synthetic), what brand and what viscosity?

I am sure it is a petroleum and probably a cheaper one at that. Would that mean I need to get it changed sooner rather than later? Thank you for your thoughts.

I think that would be very wise to not try to use extended drain intervals with an oil that is not safely capable of it. Engines costs thousands of dollars, but how much does an oil change cost?

Oil is the lifeblood of an engine and it makes good sense to use a high quality synthetic oil like AMSOIL. I can get you wholesale prices for AMSOIL that are lower than other synthetic oils.

Well Zorkiglass, pinching pennies is one of the main reasons to use AMSOIL, because it can save you so much money in reduced maintenance costs and improved fuel economy. Most of my customers save $150 per year and many even more.
About how many miles per year do you drive, how often are you having the oil changed in your Corolla and what is the price of each oil change? I might be able to save you a decent sum of money.:)