2002 Corolla S 5-Speed - Engine Braking?

I am trying to learn how to properly engine brake the car without causing extensive clutch wear, while at the same time being able to stop in time.

You see, where I live (Las Vegas), everyone cuts each other off, tailgates, and sometimes moves across FOUR lanes at a red light because they suddenly remembered where they are going.

So I need a technique where I got some idiot tailgating me by mere inches behind me.

So far I don't do the "blipping" the throttle or rev-matching technique, because I have only a month in experience of driving stick under my belt. What I do is step in the clutch pedal, downshift, and slowly let out the clutch and then gradually apply the brakes as I get closer. And then to a lower gear with the same process. All the way from 5-4-3, I dont bother with 2nd gear because my car at that point would have slowed to 20mph and I can just put the car in neutral and step on the brakes. And just by the way the car feels, I think it is causing damage to the clutch.

However! If I do the throttle-blip + downshift, my car looks like it picked up just ONE additional mile per hour, which causes the morons behind me to tailgate CLOSER.

Also in my month of driving, I noticed that gears 1-2-3 are fairly close in ratio, and gears 4-5 to be pretty wide in ratio. So if I get off the freeway (with no tailgating retards), I slow my car down to 50mph on 5th gear, then fourth, and then third.

So my downshifting speed ranges are...

60 to 50 mph = 5th gear
50 to 35 mph = 4th gear
35 to 20 mph = 3rd gear

Now what do you guys feel about what I am doing? Am I engine braking properly?

And if not, can you teach me a quick tip or something that will allow me to engine brake without getting rear ended?

My theory

Why engine brake? To save the pads and rotors.

What part of the car gets 'worn' when engine braking? Well, the clutch, transmission, and I guess the interior engine parts - valvetrain, timing chain, and so on.

Which is easier and cheaper to replace when worn? Pads and rotors. I would only engine brake on those long mountain descents, to prevent brake overheating.

I hear that a lot too. Do it mainly for mountains.

Now if I do that, lets say on the I-15 near Pomona where there are steep hills and fog everywhere or the CA-99 at Bakersfield am I supposed to keep the car in 5th gear as I coast down the hills?

I did some few steep hills in Vegas and it seems like the car's speed doesn't go under 50mph downhill, and I only downshift to 5-4-3 when I see a stop sign.