2002 Corolla - Strange Click Noise in Steering Column

Askic

Hello to all,

I have a strange problem and would like to read your opinion since I have a different opinions about the cause of the problem.

Basically when turning the steering wheel to one side and then changing to another one, there is rather loud noise like "click". It's not happening all the time but very often when turning the steering wheel full to one side or when turning to one side and then changing the direction to the other side.

Af first one service suggested that problem is the appearance of backlash in steering gear, but no backlash could be detected at the technical examination. It's like the sound is coming not from the floor but immediately below the steering wheel approx 2-3 inch below.
My mechanic suggested me that only if I insist he could try to open this part that is shown like one module in toyota parts (very expensive). He's willing to disassemble this part and examine what could be the source of this sound. He's against the idea that problem is in steering gear. He told me that safety is not an issue and that I could be safe and should react only when there is a backlash noticeable that could be measured.
So right now, this sound is only irritable.

Official toyota service suggest to replace the complete module (45250) but that is almost half of the value of the car.

Did anybody have similar problem? What would you do?

Thank you

Attachments

Last edited:
You're in the right place. Not a lot of us are familiar with the European models but a car is a car, and diagnostics are all the same.

The video will help. A click can be anything, so being able to hear it will help better.

Askic

Well it's kinda hard for me to record actual click right now, but it is almost exactly equal to this sound on 0:38 video.

However, on this video failure is obvious and there is a series of clicks but in my case only one (like between 0:36 to 0:40) and not happening all the time.

The real issue is to determine the source of the problem, so far it's most likely it is in steering column and not in steering rack.

Thank you

Edit: This is exactly
I can hear and can it hear even not that loud when moving steering wheel fast left - right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you do have electric power steering. Best way to tell would be to be to pop open the hood. If you have a place to put power steering fluid, hydraulic. If not, electric.

Do this, turn the car on (don't start it), and move the steering wheel left to right, see if that knock is there when the electric power steering system isn't on.

If you hear the noise with the electric power steering off, bad u-joint (pretty damn rare since they are under little force) or the coupling to the electric motor has slop in it.

If you don't hear it ... then chances are there is an issue with the motor.

Looks like you do have electric power steering. Best way to tell would be to be to pop open the hood. If you have a place to put power steering fluid, hydraulic. If not, electric.

Do this, turn the car on (don't start it), and move the steering wheel left to right, see if that knock is there when the electric power steering system isn't on.

If you hear the noise with the electric power steering off, bad u-joint (pretty damn rare since they are under little force) or the coupling to the electric motor has slop in it.

If you don't hear it ... then chances are there is an issue with the motor.
Hello Donabed,

great advice!: I have made the test. On a very small downhill I turned key to "ON" position and then I moved steering wheel from full left to full right and vice verse (it was very hard) and there were no click sounds. When I started the engine it was of course much easier to move the wheel but there was a click sound after turning couple of time lef-right.
Normally this clicking sound is not always present but very often.

So to be sure, I'll ask mechanic to put car on the crane and perform the same test just to see if this will happen. In that case there will be no resistance from the tires and weight of the car.

So far it is very likely that electric motor has some issue or there is a backlash in the el. motors gears in the steering column.

I'll keep you updated.

Just to update.
My mechanic managed to solve the problem. First I have checked to see if this is maybe an old problem but recall check confirmed that this particular vehicle was not in a group that had problems with the steering.

The mechanic I went to, dismantle the steering column and the electric motor and found one loose nut (inside the steering column where el. motor couples with the column). When this was tighten, no clicking sound was present anymore. So the problem is solved very cheap for me and without using any spare parts :)

Thank you all for your advices.