2002 - Vibrating

Hello, First time on here. I am trying to help out my mom. She has a 2002 Toyota Corolla (stock) with 146990 miles on her.

When you take her on the highway above 60 miles an hour there is a persistent vibration going on. Don't know where it could be coming from.

What has been done to her:

Wheels have Been balanced
Ball joints changed
Drivers side CV has been changed
had an alignment done

The vibration has went away a little bit but it is still there. Have no clue what to do next.

I was going to change the passenger side cv shaft, but that's time and money that I am limited on.

Any Ideas guys?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Wheels have Been balanced
Ball joints changed
Drivers side CV has been changed
had an alignment done
Were these repairs made because they needed to be completed, or just guessing it might rectify the vibration problem?

Where is the vibration felt; in the steering wheel or in the seats/floor?

both, probably didn't have to do ball joints, but i noticed there was a little play when I grabbed and shook the driver side cv shaft.

vibration used to be felt on the wheel... A LOT. but after the repairs, it got a lot better. Still feel the vibration on the floor

I changed the struts on my Granddaughters 2000 Corolla, that fixed a similar vibration. Later we replaced both drive shaft assemblies, and that got rid of the grumble. The vibration was from the worn out struts though. You will have to realign the wheels after replacing the struts though, so might as well do all 4.

Unless the struts are loose and are not bolted down, they will not cause a vibration as they don't spin.

For a vibration to be occurring it has to be something that is spinning that is out of balance or bent.

Unless the struts are loose and are not bolted down, they will not cause a vibration as they don't spin.

For a vibration to be occurring it has to be something that is spinning that is out of balance or bent.
What they will do is let the tire (or tires) bounce up and down at a rapid rate, which to some will be interpreted at vibration. Watch a car with a bad shock go down the highway and you will see a very rapid bounce.

I think so. I expect with the mileage that you have, it would help if not eliminate the problem. This is assuming that you have balanced your tires, and rotated them to assure that there is not a problem there (or a bent wheel). My granddaughter's struts were shot, though, when I changed them out, and there was a vast improvement in the way her car handled, and how much bounce (vibration) that was felt from the passenger compartment.

Something that is spinning as the car is rolling down the road, i.e. tires, wheels, or something in the drivetrain.

To diagnose, when the vibration occurs and with no other cars around you, put the car into Neutral and coast. If the vibration continues, the source has to be a tire or wheel. If the vibration goes away it's in the drivetrain, engine/transmission.

Last edited:
Ok, i guess this is not a common problem with these cars.

I installed new ball joints, wheel alignments, drivers side cv shaft (which by the makes a clicking noise when I turn hard left, WTF!?!?!?)

So I am assuming then its the transmission or passenger side shaft

i haven't driven the car in a while (because of this problem) but from what I can remember, it has nothin to do with the wheels, I'll double check though