2003-2008 Corolla HID Options

kyoo

I know I've looked into this before, and I'm sure many other people have as well -

Is there any other option for HID headlights than the ricey halo ones? What do people normally do as far as retrofitting projectors etc.? I've been using as bright of halogen bulbs as I can, but they just suck compared to HIDs...

HID retrofits are illegal, but at least by using a projector lens that is designed for HID (and not one designed for halogen), then you won't blind people. If you live in an area that does visual inspections, don't waste your time or money.

Otherwise, you can do it. Just remember that you pay for what you get, and cheap ones will blind drivers and scatter light poorly. If you cause an accident with improperly installed HIDs, you're at fault.

kyoo

right, improperly installed HIDs are pretty much HIDs without projectors. Get a good projector and, illegal or not, like you said I won't blind anyone. No visual inspections where I live, and I doubt even that they would know that it didn't come with HIDs, especially if it's just an OEM housing with a projector inside

kyoo

Another option for brighter lights - looks like modifying H12s to fit into 9006s are possible - may try this for just the passenger side, as well as restoring my headlights. we'll see if that has any effect

Oh, if you have yellow headlights, restoring them will make a HUGE difference.

Try that first with a set of Silverstar ZXEs before spending that money.

Maguire's make a good restore kit. Just get one that requires a drill for best results. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you restore, you will have to do it every year.

Just curious, did you get a price on the headlights that come with the HID projector?

I've seen people do it themselves. I'd be paranoid of screwing up the alignment bad...

kyoo

Oh, if you have yellow headlights, restoring them will make a HUGE difference.

Try that first with a set of Silverstar ZXEs before spending that money.

Maguire's make a good restore kit. Just get one that requires a drill for best results. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you restore, you will have to do it every year.

Just curious, did you get a price on the headlights that come with the HID projector?

I've seen people do it themselves. I'd be paranoid of screwing up the alignment bad...
quoted price for brand new headlights with projectors hids everything is 650 shipped

Cost you about $60 to get a solid polishing kit and another $70 for ZXEs, so it all depends on you. And the kit comes with the HID and ballasts right?

With all this talk of headlight bulbs, is there something wrong with the stock headlights?

There's a lot to be said for not blinding other drivers and causing accidents too.

kyoo

nothing wrong, just very poor light output.

i think there is a stigma of brighter lights that is unwarranted - I'm not talking about just throwing blinding HIDs with no projectors into the headlight bulbs, just good, real solutions with good, focused output that doesn't blind people on the road. If people have problems with factory style HIDs, that's a different story

The light output seems fine to me and it meets or exceeds federal standards, which have been determined to be safe. As long as someone drives at reasonable speeds at night, the stock headlights should be fine. If it were me, I'd be more concerned with blinding oncoming drivers, which is a serious safety issue. I think we've all had the unpleasant experience of being blinded by oncoming headlights and how dangerous that is. Now imagine yourself doing that to other people...thousands of other people.

Last edited: